should i reprogram superchip???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2001, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question should i reprogram superchip???

Well i put my superchip in a few months ago and since then i have gotten an air force one and a different exhuast ....should i have my chip reprogrammed or is it ok ???...I am also thinking about getting headers in the near future if the other two mods didnt require a reprogram would all three of them together require one???....thanks greg

Old 09-16-2001, 10:36 PM
With just a cat back and a air intake you should be fine with you chip the way it is. I think you would be ok with headers, but I am not sure about that.

Old 09-17-2001, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Paxton888,

What Don mentioned in his response to you is correct; for things like a K&N filter, an airbox elimination kit like your Air Force One, and things like a cat-back exhaust system, we do not need to change anything inside the Superchip's programming.

In the case of headers on these F-150's & Expeditions, even then it's only required about 15% of the time, though we can always do a custom program for headers to get another 5 horsepower or so from them, so we always like to suggest having us do that custom program update for headers. About 15% of the time when you install headers on these particular vehicles (meaning the 1997 & up F-150 & Expedition with either 4.6 or 5.4 motor), that will lean out the motor a bit more than the system has the ability to compensate for. The symptoms for this could be detonation at higher rpms & heavy throttle openings, and/or the vehicle "nosing over", or stop pulling, after a certain # of rpms under full-throttle acceleration in the higher gears.

In your case, with the AF1 kit and a cat-back exhaust, that's generally fine; you don't need to have anything changed in your Superchip unless you start hearing some detonation after installing those intake & exhaust parts, and that rarely happens. If it does, we can always update it, but those parts don't usually cause a need for any compensation in these vehicles.

Have fun!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 09-17-2001 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-17-2001, 02:54 PM
thank you mike and don..........

Quick Reply: should i reprogram superchip???