Programming computer for V10 that's meant for V8 with chip

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2001, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Programming computer for V10 that's meant for V8 with chip

I've always had a dream of dropping in a Ford 6.8L V10 along with an E4OD tranny into my '97 F-150. As of now, it is still only a dream, but I like to think ahead. My question is, by putting in a V10, I know I would need a different setup for the computer, but would it be possible to reprogram the computer that I have now with a Superchip flipchip to work with the V10, or would I have to get a new one? Right now I have a 4.6L V8 with the YSL2 computer code and a 4R70W tranny.

Old 09-30-2001, 06:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Buckster,

In that kind of situation, you're almost always better off having the original (or appropriate) ECU for the powertrain you're going to run. It's not "just" software differences, there are in fact hardware differences as well, there are 5-7 different circuit boards in the various Ford ECU's, configured differently to control different platforms. Sometimes you can interchange like that, and sometimes you're better off having the correct ECU to begin with.

That having been said, Superchips has tuned any number of engine swaps using the vehicle's original ECU with the swapped motor, from Lightning motors dropping into F-150's & Mustangs, to all kinds of things.

We have a customer/friend who has the opportunity to drive many of the FOMoCO prototypoes & development vehicles, including several of the supercharged V-10 F-150's that were originally intended to be the original "Thunder" model (Ford has had several different projects called Thunder it seems), as a follow-up to the supercharged 5.4 Lightning. That V-10 is not easy to squeeze in, Ford themselves had to do a good bit of surgery. It's do-able, but this is going to take some real work, if you're really serious about doing this. If it's not going to be "blown", then that makes things a little bit easier height-wise under the hood & cowling, but it still doesn't take care of the length issue, so while this swap is do-able, it's going to take some careful planning & good quality work.

Beyond that, the handling will not be very good, to say the least. The handling of those V-10 F-150 prototypes was not good, it was noted that it had an obvious front weight bias that was always reflected in the handling.

To get that level of performance, meaning what you'd potentially get from a normally aspirated V-10, you'd be far better off just dropping in a Lightning crate motor. It would have just as much power and you could *easily* get much more from a Lightning motor, an easy 480-500 hp if you wanted. this would also make the weight bias, braking bias & all other resultant handling & response issues much easier to deal with.

Could this be done "right", if someone with the knowledge needed were willing to take time getting braking, suspension & fitment & packaging issues up to snuff? Sure, and it would certainly be a unique vehicle! It's just not going to be a particularly easy or cheap project, this is going to take some real effort, resources & $$ to get it "right". Let us know if you decide to do it, we always like seeing people do different, creative & difficult projects with these trucks!

Best of luck whatever you decide,

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 09-30-2001 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:26 AM
Old topic.... I can't see two extra cylinders,slightly larger crank,manifold etc,being that much heavier than say someone installing an aftermarket bumper anbd winch. I guess if it's going in a 4x4 it wouldn't be much of a concern.
I'm looking into doing this swap in a 97 4x4 with a 4.6 as well. I have a 3" body lift so that may help as well and I'd like to put a cowl style hood on and that too may give more room.
I haven't had much feedback on this so if anyone has any usefull info have at er... let's hear it!

Old 02-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Former Sponsor
Yes, this is a WAY old topic, and some things have changed.

If someone was going to drop in a V10 into an F-150, then they'd want to get the V10 motor, tranny, PCM, wiring harness, & everything else to make it work properly.

The V-10 F-150 idea was shelved by Ford years ago due to all of the various issues including the extreme front weight distribution problems, which are more than just a bumper and a winch.

Can it be done? Sure, *anything* can be done given the desire, enough time & money.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah, it'd be a POS too, cause it'd get 12mpg.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:14 PM
So where does all this major weight come from??? I'm not building a truck to drag race...I would build it to have something different and if it's basically a 5.4 with two extra cylinders, a couple of crank throws, a couple more intake runners I just don't understand why it would be so much heavier. Plus I usually have sled or quad in the back so that would even out the "extra" whieght difference. If this was in a street truck,lower,2 wd I could see it being a problem but this engine wieghs somewhere around 700 pounds and the stock engine is close to six (from what I've read?).
How strong could the 4r70w be built? I wouldn't be racing this thing, but a little off roading it would see. Or for the wiring issues I could just bolt in the v-10 tranny,would that make it more doable?
I believe these trucks came with the larger trany (same as 5.4 i think) so wouldn't the transfer case the 5.4 uses bolt up to the v-10 transmission?
If I had the pcm that came with the v-10 engine,could I hook it all up to the existing 4.6 harness? That would be the easiest for me then I could deal with the reliability issues later when it *****'s out a part number.
I guess if a guy had a f-250 light duty with the 7700 # package it would make this swap easier...disc brakes all around, the larger trany,larger rear diff and the stiffer torsion bars. What do you think?

Old 02-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by V-10 F-150
If I had the pcm that came with the v-10 engine,could I hook it all up to the existing 4.6 harness?
NO! the V-10 has 2 more injectors, and 2 more COP's just to name a few.

I guess if a guy had a f-250 light duty with the 7700 # package it would make this swap easier...disc brakes all around, the larger trany,larger rear diff and the stiffer torsion bars. What do you think?
I think it will be a piece of junk, that gets 12 mpg. The V-10 is not a good engine for a small truck. It's a really sucky motor for everyday driving. It is a good puller, but that's about it. If you have to buy gas for it, you won't like it.
I would build it to have something different
If this is your only goal, then it would probably be ok.

Last edited by chester8420; 02-19-2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:31 AM
disc brakes all around,
i have a 4.6 with disk brakes front and back

Old 02-20-2007, 04:48 AM
Look pal...I get about 12 mpg now with this old 350,000 km truck as it is, so fuel economy isn't an issue. I think it would get better than 12 anyhow being as how it would be in a lighter truck than the f-250...

Old 02-20-2007, 07:17 AM
Although cool, I don't know how economical this would be?? (not for gas I couldn't care less even though I buy my own lol FILL 'ER UP ) My experience w/ upgrading stuff like motors only goes to the R/C level. I had a .15 motor in my mini truck and upgraded to .21 Had to get a longer chassis and everything. After that it was all downhill, breaking U-Joint's, Axle's just tearing off the truck, Gears just destroying themselves, transfer cases going to poo the works. I have a bad feeling thats what would happen if you put somethin' like that in an F150. Still be cool to say "I have a V10 F150" lol.
~Phil

Old 02-20-2007, 01:47 PM
put a powerstroke in it and see if mike can tune it

Old 02-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Former Sponsor
>>>put a powerstroke in it and see if mike can tune it<<<

Gee thanks, just drag me into anything!

As long as it has the correct PCM, I can tune it.

A diesel F-150 conversion - that would be interesting.

Originally, Ford wanted to follow up the Lighting with the "Thunder", which was going to be a supercharged V10 F-150 - they shelved it due to cost reasons, poor handling, front end weight distribution, etc., etc. A couple of friends of mine had access to a couple of prototypes, I got to see one - this was some years ago - unfortunately, I was not allowed to take any pictures, as I wanted to shoot the cowl, the engine positioning, and all the other obvious things.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:13 AM
Look pal...I get about 12 mpg now with this old 350,000 km truck as it is, so fuel economy isn't an issue. I think it would get better than 12 anyhow being as how it would be in a lighter truck than the f-250...
Ok, man. You asked for advise, and I was just giving it. As Zambino mentioned, it would be a "toy" more than a practical vehicle. And I wouldn't expect it to get much better fuel mileage than an F-250 because of the same reason I've posted 100 times. It's a big engine with a throttle body. THAT is what makes it innefficient. Not the weight. It's something that you CAN'T overcome. Now, if you don't care about that, and are willing to buy an F-250 V10 with a complete undamaged wiring harness, and were some how able to put it in your truck, and make it work, Good luck.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Go for it. I'm just saying that it will be an expensive, relatively slow, piece of junk. With no practicality or purpose, other than the novelty of having it. It will probably pull good. But so does a 5.4L.

Last edited by chester8420; 02-21-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Why not just swap in a rebuilt 5.4? 15 mpg can pull 8,000 lbs no problem and run like a scalded while in the process. But as an idea it would be cool and a show stopper, just not ver practical.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Basically it would have more hp and much more tourque than a 5.4 but in a much much lighter chassis...how could it not be a good combo? I'm not looking for all out fuel economy,I'm just wanting something different that has *****. And Calling it a piece of junk is an immature remark....How can you judge when you've never seen???

A friend is a mechanic at a ford dealer in town here.I went to visit him last night at the shop and they had a 5.4 f-150 with the 4r100 trany and the truck was the 7700# heavy half ton. I was eyeballing it up and If I did A swap such as this one I'd probably start with one of those trucks. Here's how I'd do it...
Sell my truck to offset the cost and Ideally find one of these trucks with a blown engine ( not likely)
It would already have the larger diffs,trany,transfercase,torsion bars,7 bolt wheels with discs all around better cooling cross bracing in the frame etc,etc...
I can buy a v-10 right now for 2500.00 CND with the pcm and harness
It'll bolt right up to the trany so the only real concern would be electrical and
oil pan clearance. I'm sure there will be some other mods but how hard could it be? I'm a mechanic by trade,I weld and have a buddy who's a machinest.
So I'd say I have the resources.It's the electrical issues that I don't know anything about at this time.

I think it would be a great daily driver. i find these 5.4's and 4.6's to be low on power for my liking and I think the v-10 in this lighter chassis would be the answer...

Quick Reply: Programming computer for V10 that's meant for V8 with chip