2001 Ranger 4.0 chip Whats what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Ranger 4.0 chip Whats what?

I have a 2001 ranger 4.0 SOHC with the 5 speed auto and 4:10 gears. Gibson exhaust, and K&N filter. I don t have to computer code yet. I was wondering what Chips are available and what the differences are. My speed limiter is factory set at 92mph. I m looking for a chip to compliment my changes and maximize my torque from 1800 and up. The truck short shifts first ,second and fourth gear. The first 2 I understand the second? Doesn t help at all infact most of the time after boging down in 5 th the truck returns to 4 th. It should hold 4th another 300 Rpm. Given What I ve said here which chip is right for me......I guessing Superchip...But I'm no expert.

Old 10-15-2001, 07:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Mackintire,

That's a very nice powertrain you have there actually, both engine and transmission. Those SOHC 4.0 V-6's are like sewing machines, they like to rev and perform well when the rpms are up, especially with a few bolt-ons. We had a member of F-150 Online bring his bone-stock Ranger just like yours at our 2nd Annual F-150 Online National Rally, and at our drag strip event, and with no mods at all, that truck was running mid-16 second times in the mid to upper 80's for trap speed. Given it's weight and aero profile, that's *excellent* performance, and it's easily improved on. Of course, that's foot to the floor, which is *not* what you're talking about, you need more torque down low.

The Superchip is the best chip for that vehicle, it's the only one on the market that is made for each individual vehicle, adds power *all* the time at any rpm and more importantly, at any throttle position, and is also 50-state emissions certified. Your issue of torque is indeed an important one, the single most important issue we feel, and you'll like how the Superchip improves that, as you'll have more torque available all the time.

You've already done the intake & the exhaust, and the Superchip will work very well with those other modifications.

Your specific complaint of the downshifting and then bogging after the upshift into 5th like that is a common one with that vehicle, as like any overhead cam engine, it's inherent tendency is to make good horsepower at higher rpms, but not have much torque down low. The F-150 V-8 automatics generally do the same thing, though they have only 4 forward gears while you have that nice 5-speed automatic. This will improve as well with the Superchip, as the rated gains on the 4.0 SOHC motor are a max of 20 horsepower and 28 lbs./ft. of torque.

If you'd like to go over this in more detail, please feel free to give us a call, we're happy to go over exactly what you want to achieve, etc. with you.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ranger 4.0 chip Whats what?