? for Mike T.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? for Mike T.

Hey Mike,
I put my superchip in on 11-6. Since then I have noticed a Slight Stall around 2200rpm (When I mash the throttle). After that the motor really comes to life!!
Also, I noticed (when driving with the window down) a CHIRP when the tranny is shifting. This Chirp only happenes when I'm really into the throttle. So, I guess my question is... Is this a Normal pattern until the computer re-learns the new program... or... could there be a problem?

Thanks

Old 11-08-2001, 06:25 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Fordboy,

Sorry it took me a little while to respond to you, and speaking of that, if you ever have a question you feel you need an answer to right away, don't hesitate to give us a call, that's always quicker.

OK, on to your questions..........

In short, it's normal. I'll explain...............

First, that is due to the camshaft profile, it's there when you run on the factory program as well, but it's not nearly as noticeable until you drive it with the increased power from the Superchip. Another thing you'll notice is that while the engine now has more power at any rpm or throttle position with the Superchip, it really starts pulling nice & hard around 3300 rpm or so; once again, this is due to the camshaft profiling. You just don't notice it in the factory program as the engine is tuned so much more conservatively that it's much "flatter" across the board, so you don't notice the weak spots in the cam profiles until power is brought up with more timing, then it stands out more.

Second, the "chirp" you hear on the upshift is only at very heavy throttle, and it's because the transmission now shifts considerably quicker, with substantially less slippage at heavy throttle, to reduce the amount of heat generated interally by the transmission. On some of these trucks, as yours is doing, the serpentine belt actually slips a bit for a brief second or so during a full-throttle 1-2 upshift. If it bothers you, just use some belt dressing, or replace the belt. Usually, the first belt doesn't have quite as much adhesion after wearing the paint off all the new pullies, etc. and so will not grab quite as much as it should. You don't notice it until you have more power combined with the substantially quicker shifts on heavy throttle like that, but it's easy to take care of. Our 2001 5.4 here at Performance did that too.

If you'd like to go over any of that, just give us a call, but basically, it sounds normal for these F-150's, & ours did that too.

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 11-09-2001 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2001, 10:12 PM
Thanks Mike, that info makes me feel alot better!!! Your a real class act. Hope to do buisness with you again!!

Thanks,
Fordboy

Old 11-09-2001, 06:13 PM
Former Sponsor
That's very kind of you.

Have a great weekend!

Old 11-11-2001, 09:48 AM
I think this is the appropriate place:

How long does it take once you install the Superchip for it to obtain it's full benefit?

Why I ask, is my neighbor (a vette owner, Expedition owner, and general good car guy-- not a bash on him!) seems to think that after you do a mod (like exhaust for example) that it takes several hundred miles for the computer to "learn" or adjust to the higher exhaust flow for example.

In the case of a SuperChip, you are disconnecting the battery, which should effectively clear any buffer memory, shouldn't it? I can't imagine that in general ECUs use a non-volitile type of memory (ie. lose power yet keep memory).

Why I ask, is that I'm going to dyno my '01 Screw on 11/19 for another thread (and my own interest) completely stock, I should have about 1500 miles on the truck total. I then will install my re-flashed SuperChip (THANKS MIKE ), Borla exhaust, and insert my K&N filter into the stock can. Re-dyno on 11/21. Should I wait longer? I'm hoping that the weather will be comparible.

Greg O

Old 11-11-2001, 03:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Greg,

Your neighbor is right in that it does take a few hundred miles, usually 350-500 miles in these Ford trucks for the ECU's to accept & adapt to a number of types of changes. And yes, that will have some impact on your dyno results. This doesn't mean you won't see immediate gains, just that you won't see your eventual maximum peak result for a little while, that's all.

These 2001's take more "drive cycles" (enter vehicle, insert key, start vehicle, drive it at least 5-8 miles, preferably 20, shut off & remove the key) & miles compared to earlier vehicles for the ECU to accept and/or adapt to changes like this. Again, no big deal, just a fact to be aware of. It doesn't make the parts any less effective, it just means it will take a few tanks of gas to see your eventual end results.

What most people notice after doing modifications is that the vehicle feels stronger after accumulating more miles, especially during the first 500 miles or so. People notice this in all the 1997 & up F-150's, Expeditions, etc. and some earlier models as well. Also, if you drive the vehicle conservatively most of the time, the adaptive strategy can make certain changes that will tend to reduce power a little bit.

Dynos are not "absolutes", as many people tend to think of them, including myself in my younger days, long ago. To me, they're a nice tuning tool, rather than a 100% accurate definition of power, especially when comparing incremental gains. They're fine for getting a rough idea of power levels just during that moment of time under those conditions, on that dyno with that operator.

Good luck!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 11-11-2001 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply: ? for Mike T.