Mike..... I would like a superchip, what do you suggest!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mike..... I would like a superchip, what do you suggest!

Mike T

I have been reading the posts and see that you can help people with the superchip process! i was wondering what type of chip i could use for my truck! I have a 1998 150 ext. with a 5.4l v8 triton! i added a KN air filter and i high proformance muffler with a 3" pipe for the exhaust! i hear good things from this chip and i want to have good things happen to my truck! any help you can give me would be great!

bigNAnative

Old 11-20-2001, 08:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Big,

Ok, that's pretty easy. You've got some good work done with the K&N air filter & your exhaust work, these motors are restricted in the intake & exhaust, so those are good steps to increase power.

With regards to what type of program to have in your chip, that somewhat depends on the modifications done to the vehicle. In your case, the modifications you have done are fine, and do not require us to do compensations in the program to make it run right or to correct the air/fuel ratios, etc. So then it's just a matter of identifying which computer code (that's the software revision inside your vehicle's powertrain computer) your vehicle has in order to provide you with the correct matching performance program, and deciding if you want a single-program Superchip like most non-Lightning F-150 owners are using, or whether the dual-program Superchip (which costs a bit more) is appropriate for your needs.

The Superchip requries premium gas of course, so if you want to have the ability to run 87 octane gas part of the time, you'd want to go with the 2-program Superchip Flip Chip, which will have an optimized program for regular gas (87 octane) on one side (which will have a small power gain but will still be better than stock), and our normal performance program for premium gas on the other side, with a 2-position toggle switch to select which program you're running on. The 2-program Superchip Flip Chip is generally used by those who either have heavy modifications that reqwuire custom programming, (superhcargers, gear ratio changes, or using aftermarket MAF's, etc.) or by those who want to have the dual -octane capability as I described above.

Since you don't need custom programming, I would suggest using the single-program, Superchip unless you want to have the dual octane capability at the flip of a switch.

If you like, just give us a quick call or shoot us an email & we'll be happy to go over this with you.

Good luck with your truck,

Quick Reply: Mike..... I would like a superchip, what do you suggest!