WOT Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOT Question

Hi guys, I'm starting to notice some thing in my truck. I have a SuperCrew 4x4 with the 5.4 and Airforce 1 and superchip flip chip. When I'm cruising around at a steady speed say 35-55 then I nail it to the floor, it seems to want to kill for a split second, then it down shifts and runs like its supposed to. But right when you first nail it it seems to go down in RPM's like it might kill. Is this Normal??? Or could this be chip related???
I haven't tried without the chip yet, I just can't bring myself to take that baby out, it would just break my heart, so I decided to ask the experts here if this is normal before I start experimenting. Thanks guys.

Old 12-13-2001, 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi cajunscrew,

Nice to see you again!

Well, to have any real chance of being accurate, I'd really have to at least talk with you over the phone to get a specific & thotough verbal description, and then ask you some questions, etc. to make sure I understand it's exact symptoms. There is no way to troubleshoot this properly online or in email. it could easily be far too many things, from nothing other than normal to filters, solenoids, fluid quantity & condition in the tranny, a connection-related issue with the Superchip, and on and on. Please feel free to call if you'd like to do that, the first part of next week would be best for us with everything we have going on right now, though if this is a real and immediate concern to you, that something might really be wrong from what you're feeling, then you can always give us a call right away.

The first question right now would be, "is this something that you can say is definately a noticeable *change* in it's behavior from how it's driven all along, and since you installed those parts?" That is where to start, is this a sudden change in behavior?

In general, there is a bit of a delay from the very split-second that you nail the gas pedal as hard & quick to the floor as you can, and the time it can actually grab the next gear down and rocket off. But it shouldn't be anything other than normal mechanical delay inherent in any piece of machninery that has to do several things at once to execute an instruction. Shouldn't be a "bog" or a real "hesitation", however. This is also a matter of perspective, and that alone can be powerful sometimes.

Delays in downshifts, for example, can be a root cause for it not taking off right away. It could be the clutches taking longer to fill in the automatic transmission, which can be caused by a dirty tranny filter, either too little or too much transmission fluid, fluid that's been overheated, etc., all of which are easy to remedy. Or, it may not have anything to do with that at all, that's just one *possibiilty*. It might just be more like you expressed, with the engine being at the root of it.

This could be caused by any number of things, or it could be normal, the first thing right now is, can we determine if this represents a *change* in the vehicle's response. Go ahead and try it without the Superchip and then with the Superchip again for openers, that's very easy to do and you can put it right back in afterwards, and call us, too, if you like, that will make it easier for us to go over a few things.

Old 12-15-2001, 02:48 PM
thanks mike

Thanks for the reply Mike. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this. I don't think it did this when I first bought the truck or installed the chip, so I just wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone else noticed this. I'll try with the chip out to see if it still does it. If it still does it without the chip, oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with it.

cajun

Old 12-15-2001, 07:01 PM
no luck

well I tried it with out the chip and its about the same, although it seems like a tad bit quicker throttle response when floored from around 55. Oh well, the chip is going back in. I have 2 questions though, will taking the chip in and out, in and out, ... have any effect on the computer. And my 2nd question, if the chip overides the computer, will normal trouble codes still trigger the check engine light with the chip in. Its just something I was thinking about.

cajun

Old 12-18-2001, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi cajunscrew,

Yes, with the Superchip installed, you will still get check engine lights if a code is set that would normally illuminate the MIL (malfunction indicator light, commonly referred to as a "check engine" light). We do recommend that prior to actually scanning for codes, remove the Superchip and clear the ECU *before* scanning. If you just pull the Superchip and then scan it, even if you disconnected the battery while removing the Superchip, you can get a number of false error codes from the conflict of 2 different programs being in the microcontroler if the ECU is not cleared after the program change from removing or reinstalling the Superchip. The vehicle will run just fine like that, but if you scan for codes without clearing the ECU or without driving it for at least 50 miles first, then you can easily get a number of false error codes.

With regards to removing & reinstalling the Superchip, you can do that as many times as you like, just make sure you disconnect your battery first. We also recommend clearing the ECU, as mentioned above, both to improve short term results when installing the Superchip, and also to clear the previous program from the microcontroller after removing the Superchip in preparation for taking the vehicle in for service. We go over that procedure (preparing your vehicle for a service visit) specifically in our Performance Products documentation, so if you don't have your copy, please shoot us a quick email and we'll respond with a copy attached as a file.

One other thing you might check for is the AF1 installaiton, to make sure that everything is tightened and in the right place, etc. Make sure the filter has not slid down on the venturi generator (that's the black plastic piece that you attached the MAF to on one side, and the filter to on the other side, etc.

Please feel free to call us so I can go over this with you in detail, that always works better than trying to troubleshoot typing it all out.

Old 12-18-2001, 05:00 PM
thanks

Thanks for the reply Mike. I don't think I need to call, I'm perfectly happy with my af1 and chip. Like I said its just some things I was thinking about. I guess I have too much time on my hands. Thanks again though and Merry Christmas.

cajun

Old 12-18-2001, 08:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi cajun,

Certainly, that is up to you of course!

Please don't hesitate to call if this concerns you.

Quick Reply: WOT Question