Mike Troyer, I have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mike Troyer, I have a question.

I wanted to ask you a question about the computer in my f-150. Alright, yesterday I disconnected my negative battery terminal to put in a cd player. Today I noticed I have a rough idle. My question is: Could this be because when I disconnected the battery, the computer chip had to take a little time to relearn it's computer codes? It's still not running smoothly, and I want to know how long it takes it to reboot and run smooth again? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-26-2001, 02:14 PM
O yeah, I forgot to tell you it's the stock factory chip.

Old 12-26-2001, 03:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... There's no such thing as "the factory chip" . It's either you have a chip or not. The truck's PCM has a pre-prgrammed program in the PCM it'self. When you install a chip it over rides that program and runs off the chip instead.

Old 12-26-2001, 05:14 PM
Thanks Neal. I did'nt know that.

Old 12-26-2001, 05:23 PM
Nevermind Mike...

Old 12-26-2001, 08:15 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi fellas,

Wolverine, you will find my response in your other thread where you asked this question.

The Ford ECU *does* in fact use a standard automoticve industrial-grade eprom or eeprom (in EEC-V's) chip to store it's factory program, but it is *not* removeable or replaceable as they used to be in older GM computers or even in the Bosch computers of today that are used in most Euro-makes. Ford has always made their internal chip a surface mount that cannot be physically removed. Ford did this deliberately, to make it harder for us in the aftermarket to make changes to reprogram their ECU's, but they failed, as they actually made our job easier.

Ford included the J3 external override data path in the original design of the EEC-IV computer in the very early 80's so that they themselves would have a way to quickly change the software revision in any ECU to facillitate new vehicle development. That external override data path has been left in most Ford ECU's ever since, so we simply use their own design to reprogram the ECU.

So while all EEC-IV & EEC-V Ford computers do use an internal eprom or eeprom chip, they have never been replaceable or removable.

Old 12-27-2001, 07:34 AM
THANKS FOR THE INFO. MIKE. YOU'RE VERY HELPFUL.

Old 12-28-2001, 05:52 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Anytime, Wolverine & have a Happy New Year!

Quick Reply: Mike Troyer, I have a question.