Can a chip be programmed to?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a chip be programmed to?

Can the Superchip be programmed to run on 87 Octane? I am not really after a lot more power, but I am interested in the firmer shifting that the chip delivers. So I am curious that I may not need to run the 91 Octane just for the tranny. Also, I am not sure that any mods work that well here at 6500 ft, just not enough oxygen here. I had a chip in a 90 Chevy that I owned and could tell no difference at all. Any thoughts.

Old 12-29-2001, 11:45 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Scott,

No, we will not reprogram the Superchip for use on 87 octane gas, that defeats the purpose of any performance chip, which is why performance chips require premium gas in the first place. The signle-program Superchip will only get the performance program for premium gas.

The way we will make a Superchip for use on 87 octane gas is to do it in the 2-program Superchip Flip Chip, and if you would like to explore the possibility of a trade-up to get you into the Flip Chip, assuming you already have the standard single program Superchip, we'll be happy to discuss that with you, we can usually work out a satisfactory trade-up deal. Please don't misunderstand, we're not trying to make a sale here, just letting you know that we do trade-up deals many times, in case that might be applicable to your situation.

Your elevation does not matter from the standpoint of the *percentage* of power gain from the Superchip, you are still going to get the same 10% increase in power over what you're making now from the Superchip, assuming you use proper quality fuel. If you use cheap or low quality premium gas, then you won't get the performance or mileage you could. It is imperative that you use only the best fuels when using a performance chip, and in fact, you really should use only the very best gasolines all the time, for best performance & mileage in any state of tune.

At your elevation, yes, you'll make less *total* power, as you lose 3% of your power for every 1000 ft. above sea level. However, you still get the same roughly 10% power gain from the Superchip over what you're making right now with proper fuel quality.

High elevations will usually have 92 and sometimes only 91 octane available, and that is fine as long as you're using the best 91 octane fuels available, and not trying to burn the cheap off-brands, etc., just to let you know (and you may well already know all of this, if so, pardon me). Try to stick with fuels like Texaco & Amoco, Chevron may work well there too.

No performance chip is going to feel like a supercharger, the best you can expect from the Superchip is about a 10%-12% power gain on 92+ octane fuel, and about a 10% power gain on good quality 91 octane fuel, roughly speaking. That is not enough to make a 2.5-3 ton truck suddenly feel like it's gained a large amount of power, nothing short of a supercharger & gear change will do that. However, the Superchip is simply the single best porformance enhancement you can install on these vehicles, as nothing else will deliver as much performance gain for it's tiny cost.

It's all a matter of perspective, you can't expect too much from the Superchip, and if you don't do the installation in a specific manner, you aren't going to feel much of a difference back to back, it will take several hundred miles for the Superchip's program to come in fully.

If you like, please feel free to give us a call and I'll be happy to go over with you just exactly what you can expect, and how to get the most power & performance from your Superchip.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Can a chip be programmed to?