need more pick-up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need more pick-up?

I am running 35s with 3.55s. i need some suggestions quick. everything is stock but a k/n filtercharger and borla headers are in consideration. i am unable to get a gear change right now. i need to keep as much warranty as possible but price is no subject. I sometimes tow very large loads and need equal power. Chip suggestion?

Old 01-05-2002, 12:33 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "..tow very large loads..", but if you're towing and running 35's with 3.55 rear and stock, you may not like towing anymore. I'm not sure a chip will do what you need. Gears, gears, gears and/or supercharger.

Seriously, a I'm sure a chip would help, but not enough in my opinion. I tow over 7000# and with what I've done, and also running 3.55 but with stock 275-60-17's (30") it does great. Those largers tires I would think would kill it, tranny first I would guess.

Last edited by FamilyRide; 01-05-2002 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-05-2002, 05:00 PM
I am going to agree with familyride on this, if your towing a large load like close to the trucks limit, then the gears would be best for you.

A chip will help, it does provide more power and torque, and better shifting, but if your towing a lot then the gears are your best option. If you have the 2x4 then you only have to change out 1 gear, with the 4x4 I belive there is 3.

Also for warrenty purposes you can check with your ford dealer and I would assume that if they did the work it would still be under warrenty.

Don't bother with the 3.75 as that is not enough change from the 3.55 to really be worth the money.

But as far as a chip goes, get it if you really don't have the money for the gears, it is your next best option money wise.

Old 01-05-2002, 05:35 PM
Thumbs up I'm running 35's with 3.55's.

And so far I haven't had any problems towing. I usually tow a 4000lb camper and have my quad in the bed of the truck. I put a Superchip in and I have plenty of power. I agree with the other guys though, if you're towing something very heavy, I'd go with the gear change. I'll be changing mine as soon as I save up enough money. Hope this helps.

Bob

Old 01-06-2002, 08:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 5.4redSCREW,

Welcome to F-150 Online!

By now you've already seen a number of other responses, all of which have merit.

The Superchip will help, rtroha mentions that he's able to tow 4000 lbs. with that particular combination of 3.55's & 35 inch tires. Whether the Superchip alone will end up giving you enough performance for whatever you're going to tow, that is something you really won't know until you actually do it. What the Superchip will do is give you about 10% more power, and that will certainly help, so it should be at the top of your list.

You mention that money is not a concern, yet you cannot do the gear change, so I'm assuming that this is a matter of time, not of money. From a time standpoint, the Superchip can be installed easily in under an hour.

There are actually 3 modifications you should consider when increasing towing power as well as the overall performance of your F-150:

1.) Optimize your powertrain programming with the Superchip.

2.) Reduce restriction in the air intake tract using a good airbox elimination kit, we recommend the Air Force One kit. If you already have the K&N FIPK kit, that will be fine, I woudn't change that. If you have the drop-in K&N air filter in the factory air tract, meaning you've just replaced the filter element, that's a start; stepping up to a complete airbox kit is worth doing. I'm not exactly sure which you have there, the K&N filter or the K&N FIPK kit.

3.) Reduce restriction in the exhaust with the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system. We recommend that specific system as it's the only one we've seen actually increase torque across the board, at basically every rpm & throtle position, as well as having the largest raw horsepower gains.

Those 3 areas, powertrain programming, intake and exhaust, work very well together and make a nice, balanced package of modifications that leave your waranty intact and can be procured and installed quickly.

You can do any of those 3 modifications, none of them, 1 of them, whatever you like. We suggest doing all 3 simply because those are, in the order we listed, the best bang-for-the-buck modifications to increase power & performance of these trucks. Whatever you decide to do is of course up to you, this is what we suggest based on money not being an object, but warranty and time being important considerations.

If you'd like to go over this, please give us a call, our contact info is listed below. We'll be happy to go over your situation, needs and concerns with you in detail, and help you get what will actually suit your needs best.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

Old 01-06-2002, 10:49 PM
thanx guys for all the suggestions. Buying a superchip is in great consideration. I understand that a gear change is needed but i think the info now known will help out greatly. Thanks again

Quick Reply: need more pick-up?