top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question top speed?

this past weekend me and a freind drag raced he was in my truck and i was in his girlfriends 3.8L 2000 mustang ...my truck just smoked the mustang off the line but once i hit like 120mph in the mustang i just flew by. i was wondering if there was a way i could get my truck to stop restricting me to approx. 90mph? it does this at about 3/4 pedal and then when the pedals down it doesnt even seem like the pedal responds and the engine is not raging at all.

Old 01-30-2002, 05:33 PM
Hey. This is the situation that I was in when I found this site. I searched all over for an answer.

I was dissapointed when I found out that my truck would not exceed 98 (I tend to think it's more like 95) mph. I checked out other messege boards. The response I got was: Why would you want to go that fast in a pick-up truck. Do you know about the high center o9f gravity of a pick-up truck. Do you know about the poor handeling of a pick-up truck.
Needless to say, I was pissed off at all the do gooders out there.
A search found me this place.
Well my truck will exceed 98mph. It will soon exceed that by a good amount.

Sorry for all the bull*****. Yes there is a way to remove the restriction. In my opinion, (and that of many others here, I would guess) the best way to do it is with the Superchip. It will not only remove the speed limiter, it will also increase performance, and improve driveability. If you have an automatic it will also improve shifting.

5ohhh, you've come to the right place. You can get a Superchip right here. Wait for a response from Mike, the Superchips distributer for the details.

You will be able to blow the doors off that 3.8!

Tom

Old 01-30-2002, 05:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... Get yourself a SUPERCHIP. It will give you more H.P, TORQUE, DELETE the top speed limiter, raise shift points, and increase tranny shift firmness. Give MIKE TROYER a call and do yourself a favour and get the SUPERCHIP.

Old 01-30-2002, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yeah, once you ditch the speed limiter make sure you don't exceed your tire's speed rating. Or, you can get a set of higher rated tires too.

I would hate for you to shred a tire while going over 100mph.

BTW, I know that I left the door open to be accused of being a do gooder but it's something I just had to say!

Good luck.

Old 01-30-2002, 11:14 PM
Nobody ever said the do gooders are wrong. It's just that sometimes it can sound like mom nagging "look both ways before you cross the street!" Yes, I know mom. I will look both ways before I cross the street!

Ok, so for thoes who will be exceeding the limit set by the tire rating, got to add "Z" rated tires to the future mods list.

Man going fast is getting more and more expensive!

Tom

Old 01-30-2002, 11:21 PM
Does the truck have to be tuned? Or does the chip tune itself?

Old 01-30-2002, 11:24 PM
do all f-150's have the speed limiter? i had my speedometer on 100, and it was still accelerating. with the speed difference from my tires I had to have been going 110, (about 105 speedo). I didn't have the pedal down quite all the way, cause like LE PEW said, you don't want to shred a tire going that fast.

Old 01-30-2002, 11:57 PM
Mozy, I believe the Superchip overides the factory program. I'm not certian I am using the proper termanology, but I think it's like that. All you do is add (install) the chip and it does the "tuning".

HOSRACN, it is my understanding that all '97-'02 F150's have a speed and rev limiter. From what I have seen here, the speed limiter would be set somewhere 98 and 108mph.

I am just a fellow member. If you check back I think you will recieve more detailed explainations.

Tom

Old 01-31-2002, 03:01 PM
Superchip

Will stop the Rev-limiter on the truck...

I've installed one on a 2001 and well let's say I tested it

Old 01-31-2002, 10:09 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 5ohhh,

You've discovered your truck's top speed limiter! Don't worry, we can help with that.

All of these F-150's (and almost all other vehicles that are not considered "performance vehicles") have top speed limiters in their factory programs.

In these F-150's, the TS limiter is usually 98 mph, though there are a few that have limiters as high as 108 mph, the majority are at 98 mph, with a few even at 95 mph.

The Superchip removes the top speed limiter, in addition to adding more horsepower and torque. It retunes the engine specifically for the use of premium gasoline for maximum power. It will also clean up the shift characteristics of the automatic transmission models as well.

The Superchip is also available in a 2-program model for those who want to be able to use 87 octane gas.

Each Superchip is programmed for the exact software revision in each vehicle's powertrain computer, so we will need to know the computer code of your vehicle to be able to supply you with the correct Superchip program. You can find this code by going to the passenger side of the vehicle, and opening the front passenger door. Then look in the front part of the door frame, in the area of the door hinges, and there you should find a sticker that has 3 letters and 1 number on it, 4 digits total, and that is your computer code. Let us know if you have any trouble locating your computer code, we can always help you find it if the door frame sticker is missing or faded, etc.

To place your order for the Superchip, you can either give us a call at our number listed below, or you can use our online ordering system, and there is a link to take you right there, also just below in our signature line.

If you would like to go over any of this in more detail, please feel free to give us a call, we'll be happy to speak with you about this or anything else performance-related.

Quick Reply: top speed?