How important is Octane rating?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 03:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OOPS, double post, sorry!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 02-24-2002 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor
HPsteem,

You might want to consider that there are different aspects that are improved differently among some of the different software revisions from the factory. Some have more areas of deficit than others, and will see more improvements in certain areas than others, even though the peak power gains are generally very close from one 4.6 F-150 to the next, for example. Just because you may have the same basic vehicle configuration as his means nothing in that regard, he could have a completely different code that has different aspects to it.

You telling him his post was "pure fantasy" was out of line, he has a right to his perspective just like you have your own perspective on what you feel the Superchip did for your vehicle, which, by the way, you explained very well and in nice detail, just as he did on his post regarding his results & impressions. I'm quite sure wouldn't appreciate anyone telling you that your post was a pure fantasy, right?

We have to allow for the fact that not all vehicles are the same, and neither are all people. What one persons posts about their thoughts & results from any part is not subject to anyone else's approval. As long as it's not a rude, mean or deliberately inflammatory post, everyone has a right to their own opinion.

Let's all get along here, and act like the gentlemen we all can be, please.

Old 02-24-2002, 04:15 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Nacho & others,

Any good quality premium gasoline of 91 thru 94 octane will be just fine with the Superchip. Our in the western areas where 91 octane is so prevelant, especially California and many areas of Washington & Oregon and in some of the desert states, Chevron is doing a very good job, good energy content, etc. Texaco & Amoco are also generally excellent fuels.

As long as the 91 octane you use is a good quality fuel, no off-brands or no-names, etc., you'll get the results you should from the Superchip.

You aren't gong to take a big hit in terms of how much power is gained from the Superchip on 91 octane instead of a 92 octane available elsewhere, for example, don't worry about that, the Superchip is still going to do a very nice job. We have a lot of everything from almsot bone-stock to highly modified vehicles, running superchargers, nitrous, you name out on those 91 octane fuels.

If you'd like to go over this in more detail, give us a call & we'll be happy to go over what brands of fuel you have available to you there, and which brands among those should generally give better performance, mileage, etc.

Old 02-24-2002, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike T,

Thanks for the info! I'll be giving you a call to get more info for my truck & computer code.

Old 02-24-2002, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by HPsteem
Nacho; I was on my way to bed and saw your post, I don't sign on much but when I read Nonsequitur's reply I couldn't walk away. His post is pure FANTASY ! or wishfull thinking, or both. I have the EXACT same truck w/ the EXACT same mods + a few and theres no way in HELL he can have gained the performance he claims ( I hope he dosen't fish ). Now, here's the deal, you'll notice a better throttel responce, a little snapier. When entering a freeway you 'll notice your throttel setting is a little less, and when running up a long grade your revs wont drop as much. You'll like the shifting better, it'll feel slightly more positive, and the shift points will be a little higher in the power band where they should be. You WON'T be feeling a SUPERCHARGER. Now I don't know how sensitive Nonsequitur's a$$ is, but I think you'll like the enhancements to your powertrane. MPG is a push, thats the straight dope, no BS.............good nite!!!!!
Jeez... Cut some slack! Now I may have exaggerated a little to bolster my point but I wanted to make it clear that I felt some difference with the chip whereas I did not notice the differences with the other things I have added. I never said it was like have a blower, I may have been excited but not foolish.

Sure the gains are real world, the transmission is behaving better, and the shifts are firmer (not really neck breaking but definately smile inducing). Throttle responce is better all around, I never ever had problems breaking my stock GoodYears loose with the stock setup but it is just a little easier with the truck's current condition.

The point I was trying to make was that bang-for-the-buck, the SuperChip has been my hands down favorite!

There are more things I plan to do, this is not the end all be all mod but a great interim toy! Next will be a P-1SC, 42lb/hr injectors, a larger lph fuel pump, Granatelli MAF, Holley 80mm TB, Bauman Rebuild kit, Electric fan replacement, Transgo shift kit, Precision Gear 4.10 ring and pinion, JBA Jet Black Ceramic coated headers, and of course a SuperChip custom program. In the process I will lose money I have already invested (AF1 and first program on the SuperChip); but I want to have fun with my truck and am willing to do it!

Nacho, if I misled you in anyway I apologize; but I definitely feel that the SuperChip was worth every single penny I spent, including the cost of the Next Day shipping and premium go-juice!

Back to reality... BTW I don't fish!

Last edited by Nonsequitur; 02-24-2002 at 11:03 PM.

Quick Reply: How important is Octane rating?