How important is Octane rating?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How important is Octane rating?

I just ordered my chip from Mike at Performance Products, after doing so I told my wife that she has to get used to puting 91+ octane in the truck...(in missouri we have 87, 89, and 93) so of course she flipped out at the thought of $1.25+ a gallon for gas. (she drives it daily and is responsible for gassin it), like grabbing the red handle on the left verses the blue handle on the right is that big of a life change but i have to ask, am I only going to loose slight performance but still notice a positive difference or is it gonna run rough?

Thanks alot....

Old 02-21-2002, 09:19 PM
If you don't run at least 91 octane, it's my understanding that the vehicle might ping itself to death. That would not be a good thing. Don't worry about your wife. As soon as she realizes the extra performance she has she won't be complaining about the price.

Old 02-21-2002, 09:25 PM
Hi BZ

You might be running rough if you dont get straight with the wife.

You should know...but its been posted alot here about using the correct oct. with schip. What may/may not happen.

I assume you got only a one program..91+oct....thats a minimum.

Good luck...looks like your gonna need it.

OT

BTW...maybe this will help....Here in my area of (NV) our highest oct. is 91... Chevron now is 1.45gal. Let her know..

Old 02-21-2002, 09:55 PM
A $1.25 for 93!!! Oh boo-hoo....

Try $1.50 something for 91...

Tell your wife not to complaing, she will love the extra power and the ability to pull up to other slower cars and beat them off the line.

Old 02-21-2002, 10:12 PM
$1.67.9 for 91

Oh well my baby is worth it!

Old 02-21-2002, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell her that the mileage will improve with the chip/91 octane combo becuase it will be running more efficiently not just more powerfully.

Old 02-21-2002, 11:01 PM
Well...If it means that the engine will run rough I guess she will have to get used to using the good stuff. And I hate rub it in but I was being pretty liberal with the price...It has hovered around $1.15 for the 93 oct.

Thanks for the replys...and I guess we dont have the beaches, sunsets or the weather, but Gas prices dont seem so bad now

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2002, 06:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi BZ,

Running the Superchip (this is the standard single program Superchip we're talking about, not the dual-octane Flip Chip) on anything less than your local 93 octane will result in a loss of the power gain, and you could very well have detonation as well, the knock sensors systems in these vehicles vary in their effective compensation range.

What some of the others have mentioned about getting better mileage with the Superchip has some merit, as depending on how the vehicle is operated, you could see a small improvment in mpg. Many people have reported back here on F-150 Online with solid mpg gains from the Superchip over the years. That usually happens when cruising rather than in stop & go city driving, and is just a byproduct of our performance tuning for premium gas, specifically, the increased spark advance used on part-throttle. It's not something we can *guarantee*, so I probably wouldn't promise her that is absolutely going to happen.

Some people have seen 2.0 mpg + gains, some have reported .7 mpg gain, and some have reported no gain. It really depends on how the vehicle is driven, and the fuel quality being burned, meaning it's energy content.

My point being, while there is some validity to telling your wife it will get better mileage with the Superchip, I think it's more accurate to say that all else being equal, there is the *potential* for a small mileage gain from using the Superchip with the required premium gas, primariy when cruising. That would be a completely accurate & honest statement. For example, some people drive their vehicles harder after installing the Superchip, and when that hapens, mileage will go down of course, until the novelty of a new go-fast parts wears off and driving returns to a more normal pace.

It's not a matter of the engine "running rough" if you don't use premium gas with the Superchip, though that could potentially happen too I suppose, it's really the issue of the potential for detonation that is the concern.

I hope that info helps,

Old 02-22-2002, 07:04 PM
Thanks Mike....

I broke it down for her and told her that for the extra 4.00 a fill-up she better just use the 93 oct. As for her noticing the mileage increase/decrease, not to joke on her but i could tell her she is now getting 40 miles to the gallon and in the most innocent eyes ask me if that is good....lol.

Oh well, She loves that truck more than me so it dosent seem to be a problem.

Old 02-22-2002, 08:28 PM
Mike,

Im looking into getting a chip from you (Single Program). But here in California we only have 91 OCT. I guess my question is would it be worth it to buy one? and see a real gain in housepower? Or is there any tipe of additive I can add to the gas to increase the octane? Sorry for all the questions but I really had my mind set on this next mod for my truck! Thanks

Old 02-22-2002, 09:49 PM
Hey Nacho

My Superchip is doing fine with 91 Octane! I have only had it a day but I have run a full tank through her already enjoying my new toy!

Thanks for making it painless Mike! I ordered online, received the chip when I expected it, with all the literature PLUS Performance Products extra literature (great stuff) and got the chip in and fired it all up without a problem!

Old 02-23-2002, 10:42 PM
Nonsequitor,

What hoursepower gain did you get running 91? Is it a big difference. And how much did your chip cost you.

Old 02-23-2002, 11:21 PM
I have not had it on a dyno, but the truck definately (seat of the pants meter) feels a bit more awake. I love the firmer shifts and the way the transmission is acting overall, and the truck definately has a little more noticeable power.

On the freeway on a cruise this evening I kicked down into passing gear at 65 and it accelerated nicely.

Merging on the freeway was painless I dropped it down into gear on the onramp and looked into my blindspot with my blinker on and when I turned back around my truck was already passing 75mph (of course this is more a symptom of a heavy right foot)!

Either way it is definitely the best bang for the buck I have spent for the truck thus far, and was about $50 cheaper than my Flowmaster system!

I would do it again in a heartbeat and will get a SuperChip for my next vehicle too! I ordered from Performance Products very effortlessly and I even paid for the next day shipping and sure enough I got it the next day!

The price was right on and you can order it here:
https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

With shipping it will run around ~$235 (I paid extra to get it here faster though!)

EDIT: Took out some of the "pure FANTASY"...

Last edited by Nonsequitur; 02-24-2002 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2002, 05:12 AM
Nacho; I was on my way to bed and saw your post, I don't sign on much but when I read Nonsequitur's reply I couldn't walk away. His post is pure FANTASY ! or wishfull thinking, or both. I have the EXACT same truck w/ the EXACT same mods + a few and theres no way in HELL he can have gained the performance he claims ( I hope he dosen't fish ). Now, here's the deal, you'll notice a better throttel responce, a little snapier. When entering a freeway you 'll notice your throttel setting is a little less, and when running up a long grade your revs wont drop as much. You'll like the shifting better, it'll feel slightly more positive, and the shift points will be a little higher in the power band where they should be. You WON'T be feeling a SUPERCHARGER. Now I don't know how sensitive Nonsequitur's a$$ is, but I think you'll like the enhancements to your powertrane. MPG is a push, thats the straight dope, no BS.............good nite!!!!!

Old 02-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Cool to see two othere f150 owners from California! but lets not get out of control!!! Im sure some trucks will respond better with the chip and some wont! Like my friends truck he cant even break the rear wheels loose but, I can spin the ***** of mine.

Quick Reply: How important is Octane rating?