Chip now or chip later?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chip now or chip later?

Last edited by Habibi; 10-16-2003 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I asked Mike this and he said to give the engine about 2000 miles just to make sure there are no problems with it and to give it a bit of a break in period.

Get the chip though, it's kicks a$$. Love it and have no regrets, except hesitating to get it

Anyways I'm sure Mike will jump in here and give you his opinion. By the way my first 2000 when really quick as I just loved to drive my new Super Crew around.

Old 02-26-2002, 11:31 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Habibi,

Actually, we recommend putting at least 300-500 miles on a brand new vehicle before doing any modifications, just long enough so that you know there are no immediate problems with the vehicle that require service attention before the vehicle is ready for daily use. That happens very rarely of course, these vehicles usually are delivered in excellent condition & ready to go.

There are always exceptions, for example, in many "tuner" cars & specialty vehicles, they will come modified in brand new trim many times, and with our vehicles here at Performance, we rarely get off the dealer's lot before the Superchip goes in. But that's us, of course, we're a performance company.

The reality is that you can do whatever modifications you like immediately, but in general, for most people we think it's a good idea to put a few hundred miles on first, so that you know if there are any problems with the new vehicle before you start doing modifications. That's not a must, just a good idea, we think, for many people.

There is no formal break-in period for engines anymore, that stopped years ago thanks to advances in metalurgy, assembly methods & lubricants. However, we have seen that for much of the past 10-12 years or so, it can take 4000+ miles for a new engine to fully "loosen up," so to speak. That's a bit of a misnomer, but close enough for conversational purposes.

We suggest putting 300-500 miles on it before starting your modifications.

If you'd like to go over this in more detail, or go over anything performance related about your new F-150, give us a call, we'll be happy to speak with you.

Congratulations on your new 2002 F-150, by the way!

Old 02-26-2002, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chip

Thanks Mike,

I will contact you just as soon as I take delivery.

Regards
Habibi

Old 02-27-2002, 08:43 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi dcovell,

Just wanted to drop you a quick note & didn't have time yesterday.

We've discussed # of miles for a number of different things over time, from # of miles before doing mods to # of miles for an engine to loosen up, make it's full power & best mpg, etc., so you may well have thought that I said a couple thousand miles before doing modifications, & my apoligies if I caused you any confusion somewhere along the line. . We actually recommend putting 300-0500 miles on a brand new vehicle before modifications for most people, basically as I explained in my response to "Habibi" above.

I just didn't want you to think that I had just dropped by to contradict you & run.

Quick Reply: Chip now or chip later?