where do I plug it in?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question where do I plug it in?

Just bought a computer chip upgrade for my 2000 F-150 Flareside 5.4L 4x4. The instructions say the computer is above the passenger kick plate. Can't find it. what does it look like? I went as far as taking this kick plate off and there is a lot of electronic hookups back there, but nothing that looks like it will accept a computer chi/. Help, Rudy

Old 02-27-2002, 11:49 AM
the best advice i can give you is to go to f150world.com. They have an excellent how to on installing the superchip. The computer box is very easy to spot. If you've taken off the kick panel, look along the outside of the pickup, towards the front. its a rectangular box, about 5 inches by 9 inches. it'll have a little plastic clip holding it in there. Just go check out the how to, it's very informative.

Old 02-27-2002, 06:23 PM
and also the place to plug in the chip may not be obviouse at first glance. i know my situation is rare from reading other peoples posts. but the place when the chip goes was metal like every where else on the computer. it was just preferated so it was easy to punch out. it will be best just to take the whole sucker out and then put the chip in. besides...you will have to clean your contacts. i am just assuming you got a superchip...because that is what you have to do with one. but if you got another kind of chip i don't know for sure...but it seems you should have to clean the contacts for them too. hope that helps.

Arom

Old 02-27-2002, 11:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Rudy,

Nice to see someone from (or in) Germany! I lived there, in what was West Germany, for much of the 60's.

You need to look just *above* the kick panel, not behind it. You do not need to remove that kick panel at all, and we don't. Look just above the kick panel, and you will see a rectangular-shaped aluminum box. It is tight up against the inner fender. Just look above the kick panel, and you'll see it starts just a few inches above the top of where the passenger's kick panel ends. It's a rectangular-shaped aluminum box, and the way it's mounted in the late-model F-150, the dimensions would be 6 inches tall, 9 inches long, and 1.5 inches in depth, or width. You will see that there is a small black plastic pressure clip that holds the computer up against it's mounting bracker/plate.

Just look a little higher, in other words, and you'll see it, it's right there and pretty easy to deal with.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: where do I plug it in?