1715 Tuner Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1715 Tuner Problems

Just recieved my Tuner and after carefully following the directions. I got a message that said; Tuner needs Update or Call SuperChips or press ">" to cont...
I pressed ">" and it went back to the beginning and repeated the message; Tuner needs update.
The truck is a 2002 and the vehicle code is KVF1 but I thought it didnt matter what you computer code was? I need some help!

Old 09-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke, I know its the long weekend but, call PPI, leave a message and Mike or Anita will get back to you F-A-S-T fast...they will probably not even look at this site until later in the week because they will be returning calls of customers.........good luck and I'm sure they will fix you up as fast as they can.

ed

Old 09-02-2002, 01:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Broke,

This is an easy fix thanks to the features of the Micro Tuner, and is covered in the documentation. The Micro Tuner itself is already telling you exactly what you need to do, which is to call Superchips so they can update that unit for you. I know it soudns funny, as the Micro Tuner itself is new, but what you have there is a code that Ford had not yet released to the aftermarket by the time the Micro Tuner was manufactured, that's all.

Even though you do not have to know your computer code to order the unit, you are *still* going to get the Superchips code-matched performance program when you go to change your vehicle with the Micro Tuner, as we will never adopt a "generic' tuning program setup like the other chipmakers do, that always yields a poor optimization of the power train program.

So even with the Micro Tuner, you are still going to get code-specific individual tuning for each vehicle. The Micro Tuner has all of the 1000+ codes for the 1997 & newer F-150 platform vehicles that had been released as of it's production date, but any factory software revisions not released yet to the aftermarket as of that unit's product date of course can't possibly be in there.

This happens rarely, but always happens a few times each model year as the automakers are *constantly* releasing new software revisions on an ongoing basis, not just at the beginning of a model year, but all model year long.

Your code is just so new that it has not been released to the aftermarket yet, but that is easily cured by doing exactly as you are being instructed to by the Micro Tuner, call Superchips so they can make the arrangments with you to send that unit in and then update it & return it to you.

When you have a brand new code like that, the Micro Tuner downloads it and stores it, so you can then send it in to Superchips, who will download that new program and make all the changes to it to include it with your Micro Tuner when it is sent back. They will also automatically update all future production runs of the Micro Tuner with any and all new programs that are developed/released in between production runs, that too is done on an ongoing basis.

What we have here is not a static process, it is the nature of the beast that new codes are constantly being developed by the automakers. The chances of having a code not in the Micro Tuner are very small, but it's always going to happen to a few people every model year, for as long as the automakers continue their development we have to as well, to deliver only the very best code-matched powertrain programming/tuning.

This is something that can happen with brand new vehicles sometimes, as we have to remember that all of the factory software revisions are released to the aftermarket later than the automaker has actually made it, of course, so in a few rare situations there can be a lag time. In your case it's a veyr easy solution, your Micro Tuner has stored that new software revision so that Superchips can update your unit and all other future units.

That's just one of many nice things about the Micro Tuner, is that it stores your factory program so it can be updated by Superchips even if you have a brand new code that hasn't even been released to the public yet.

So just do as your Micro Tuner is telling you, & call Superchips at the number in your documentation and have them take care of getting that unit updated for your trucks new code, and you'll be enjoying your Micro Tuner very soon!

If you have any further questions on this, you can give us a call here at Performance as well.

Quick Reply: 1715 Tuner Problems