Question to Flip-Chip owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question to Flip-Chip owners

Just how often do you find yourself 'flipping' it over and making use of both programs? was it worth getting a flip chip or should you have gotten a single program chip?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2002, 10:18 PM
bump

bump

Old 09-10-2002, 01:47 AM
I was debating wether to get a flip chip with a low and high octane program, but I would have never flipped it. The cost of premium is actually better than before the chip. What I mean is that I get 3 miles ot the gallon better than I used to 11 --> 14, and I am driving the truck harder. This may not be the result that everyone will get, but this is what I get. Every 9 gallons of gas, I am actually putting $.40 in my pocket!!! Delta of the gas is $.18.

Old 09-10-2002, 08:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Beastie,

I'm glad you made that point. You're right, your mpg gain from the Superchip is a bit higher than most with F-150's get, the average is about 1.5 mpg or so.

We too have seen solid 3.0 mpg gains in every 4.0 V-6 engine Ford we've owned, which was in Explorers & Rangers, in our case. Our F-150's here at Performance have seen mpg gains of 1.1-2.0 mpg in our F-150's here in the mountains.

When you can get 3 more mpg from the Superhicp like you're getting, you're doing darn well, and with that kind of result, you actually can spend a little bit less money for gasoline overall. That doesn't happen often, but we too, have seen that kind of result in some of our FoMoCo's from the Superchip.

Old 09-10-2002, 08:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Bart,

About half the people with Flip Chips leave them in one position all the time. The other half will make use of both programs.

In many cases, the Flip Chip was used just to provide additional flexibility, and even most of those who never use the second program say they still would go with the Flip Chip just to know that second program is there should they ever want or need it.

I don't know who much that little bit of info will help you in your decision, but there it is.

Thanks for calling again today Bart, & my apologies for being out & not calling you tonight, I spent most of the day at our installation shop so I'll give you a call tomorrow to go over your parts, any questions, etc., & thanks for your patience!

Old 09-10-2002, 08:16 PM
I got the flip chip because I needed custom programing for an increase in tire size and the cost about evened out. I've not yet flipped it over to run on regular and dont expect to but in a pinch if super isn't available it's nice to know I can without having to pull the chip.
Hope that helps.
Randy

Old 09-10-2002, 08:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Thanks for your post, Randy, that' s a good point I failed to mention...............we do advise anyone who needs custom programming for thigns like speedo corrections, headers, etc., to use the 2-program Flip Chip simply because the value is much better than paying the custom program charge on the single program chip. For a few bucks difference you get 2 programs instead of just 1, and any custom tuning needed at time of purchase (except a supercharger, those programs cost more) on both programs is included in the price of the 2-program Superchip Flip Chip.

So there are a number of others out there in your same situation, where they are using only 1 of the 2 programs on the Flip Chip, and basically only have the Flip Chip because we recommended going that route for the best value.

Old 09-11-2002, 11:17 AM
braboin

I flip mine depending on what I am doing. If I am making a road trip I flip it to regular because there no point in burning the good stuff on a long highway drive but around town and when I am towing my boat I flip to the high octane. I get better mileage in both situations over stock. Works great.

Old 09-11-2002, 02:24 PM
Talking Thanks

Just placed THE order.....got the F150 Tuner instead of the flip chip, Air Force One Kit, and the Electric Fan kit.

Fingers are crossed that it gets here before Friday, doing some camping this weekend, so at least I can put the tuner to use. The other two will have to wait until I head home to make use of the old man's garage! Apartment life with no garage is for the birds!!

Thanks to those who gave feedback, and of course add another to the countless thank yous and pats on the back to Mike - A great guy to work with and to deal with as a customer. A rare find these days.

Just wait till I see that first Dodge quad cab after I'm Modded out!

\m/

Old 09-11-2002, 03:04 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
Once I get my Fordchip Flip-chip I plan on switching programs at least once a week.

I got mine setup for one side street, other side 100shot Nitrous w/ 6,200rpm rev limit. I never plan on going that high but it's it's good to know that I could rev that high without worrys of hitting rev limiter while spraying

I also went ahead and had it programmed for the 3.90's and 275/70/16's That i'm getting here shortly.

Old 09-11-2002, 08:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Bart,

Yep, we've got our fingers crossed for you on this end, too. The UPS Ground chart says 2 business days to you from us, time will tell when the big brown truck rolls up if it got to you by Friday as it should.

All kidding aside, thanks for calling & nice working with you!

Old 09-11-2002, 10:32 PM
Well if Dale was driving the Big Brown Truck....it'd be here in a day!!! it is a ford ya know

Race that truck Dale.

Last edited by braboin; 09-11-2002 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:06 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Bart,

And no doubt DJ wants to drive that big brown truck.

My favorite UPS commercial has to be the one where they have Joe Walsh doing a take-off on one of his tunes from the 70's. If you have to have commercials, a bit of wit helps.

Old 09-13-2002, 10:13 AM
Mike,

Good news...ups.com says it's out for delivery today!! as soon as it all gets here, I'll be burning that last 1/8 a tank of gas and putting that micro tuner to work!

Now I need to find time to drive North to Upper MI so I can install the AF1 and fan kits....can't wait. Thanks again!

PS - whenever you get a chance to send those customer vehicle photos, I can finish things up and send off the stuff to Jon at CR.

BR

Old 09-13-2002, 11:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Bart,

Glad everything arrived on time!

The photos are done now, but the files are too large to email, that's why you don't have them yet. We burned a CD with those files & that will be arriving by UPS as well.

Quick Reply: Question to Flip-Chip owners