Powerstroke off-road chip?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerstroke off-road chip?

I was checking out the superchip website, and I noticed that it says the off-road diesel chip should not be used if you're planning on towing anything over 4,000lbs. So, whats the reasoning behind this?

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2002, 03:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe its because of the exhaust gases temp.

Old 10-02-2002, 06:30 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Kevin,

That is correct, because of the EGT's. We have a lot of people doing that and still able to tow 8,000 lbs. However, we do say that if they are going to run the Off Road program on the street, they have to have an opened intake, an opened exhaust, and an EGT gauge, at a bare minimum. Anyone using the Off Road program needs to actually *see* just what the EGT's are, and thus know when they've hit their safe towing limit for their particualr vehicle configuration, PSD's can weight barely 6K lbs. like in an F-250, or they can weight upwards of 10K lbs. like in the Excursion Limited. We don't like to see much above 1350 degrees or so for PSD EGT's pushed to the absolute limit, and it's hard to reach those EGT's even with that tuning unless the motor is under a tremendous load/strain, and/or can't breathe in and out like it needs to from running a stock intake & exhaust.

In fact, unless you open up the intake and the exhaust, you won't get the full addition power gain of the Off Road program, the motor just can't breathe well enough.

The Off Road program was designed and is sold for use OFFROAD only, just as it's name implies. It is not emissions certified, and it requires additional vehicle modifications to safely use it for towing, or to get the full additional power gain from the more aggressive program.

Quick Reply: Powerstroke off-road chip?