Chip Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chip Removal Question

I am going to Dyno my truck to get some baseline numbers before adding a Supercharger and other mods.

I would like to have numbers both with and without my Superchip.

Since one must drive for a few hundred miles to attain full benefits from the chip, I'm thinking to make a few pulls with it and then pull it out and make more.

My question is- if it takes time and miles to realize the full benefits from the chip, after removing it, does it also take time and miles for settings to return to "stock".

Old 10-09-2002, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to know the answer to this one also.

Old 10-09-2002, 09:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Mad,

That's an excellent question, and to a certain extent that *does* work both ways.

What we recommend is going to the dyno, and when you get there, remove the Superchip and then clear the PCM, and let them run it on the factory program (if in your case you can run it on the factory program, and I don't kow your details off the top of my head) and get those numbers first. Then do a 30 minute cooldown, during which you'll want to reinstall the Superchip and once again clear the PCM (again, after installing the Superchip)and then do your next pull.

In fact, we have a specific procedure we use, and if you'd like to give us a call we can go over with you how we do that.

You could start with the Superchip first if you want to, and there have been a few custoemrs that we have recommended they do just that. But in rreality, unless most of your driving is very heavy throttle, adaptive strategy will dial a bit of power back out (a coupla-few percent) in street-driven vehicles, primarily we're talking about daily drivers that by their nature will see a significant amount of conservative driving getting back and forth to work, the normal weekday stuff, etc.

It's up to you, but we run it stock first, and clear the PCM after each program change.

Anytime you do not do both the before & after testing on the same day, the results will be skewed by any differerences of any kind in atmospheric data, from temperature & humidity to barometric pressure, etc. With a supercharger you don't have any choice of course, just remember to make sure you get all the atmospheric data for each set of pulls so you can try to compare as best as possible, as the "correction" software in most dyno's isn't too accurate, we *never* depend on it.

Adding a supercharger will of course get you a big power gain, so you'll get bigger "after" numbers no matter when you test. But for the sake of accuracy, get all that data & keep it with your plots for reference.

Good luck!

Old 10-09-2002, 10:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the input Mike.

Quick Reply: Chip Removal Question