Micro Tuner "Insatallation"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Micro Tuner "Insatallation"?

I just read a post about someone buying a Tuner for their truck and they said they did a custom installation. I thought on a tuner you programmed what you wanted and then removed the pragrammer. Am I misled here or what?

Old 10-28-2002, 07:08 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi S&B,

Well, you'd probably have to ask whoever you're talking about to see just what they mean, but I think what you'll find they meant is simply that they went into the options menus to make individual adjustments to areas like speedometer calibration, shift points, & shift firmness, as opposed to just accepting the default Superchips parameters for everything (which is what most people do with the Micro Tuner).

So what they're talking about most likely is simply the fact that they went into the options menus, which give you control over things like the individual 1-2, 2-3 & 3-4 WOT upshift points and the individual firmness levels for each of those upshifts in the automatics, as well as control over speedometer calibration in the 1999 & newer vehicles. And that is called a "custom installation," but that doesn't mean that they could do anything differetnly in terms of actually connecting the Micro Tuner.

In other words, you took that term *literally*, when it wasn't meant in that literal sense.

No matter what they did, once they're finished using the Micro Tuner, yes, they will disconnect it from the OBD-II port & back in the box. In fact, the Micro Tuner *tells* you to disconnect it as soon as it's finished it's uploading.

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 10-30-2002 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:15 PM
Duh!

If I would have thought about it, it would have been obvious huh!

Old 10-29-2002, 11:36 PM
Mike, i talked to one of your helpful people today and was very impressed with the answers she gave me. I ordered a new 2003 F-350 CC 4x4 V-10, and i was gona send my old v-10 chip in for reburn but i see you have this tuner now. I want to order one but she said i might want to wait till i get truck. Do you know if ford changed anything on the 03's? I am only doing Tires, air filter and exhaust (maybee if someone can help me).

Also, I have asked this before with no answers. I want to put dual exhaust on this truck, but i want something that sounds good. Have you had any experience with one for a v-10?

Can i trade in my old chip for tuner?
I am gonna put it on the clasifieds first.

Old 10-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi S&B,

Sometimes things aren't always obvious, being human that happens to us all, so don't give it a thought. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask!

Old 10-30-2002, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Firedude26,

Congratulations on ordering your new 2003 V10 SuperDuty!

What our staff said was correct, the current Micro Tuner doesn't have the latest 2003 V-10 programs in it yet, it's just a bit too early in the 2003 model year.

We'll just have to see what code is in your '03 V10 when it comes in. If it's still the EEC-V PCM, then it's just a matter of time for us to get the tuning done on whatever computer code it happens to be. We see so few V-10's overall here locally (as in almost never), we haven't put our hands on a 2003 V10 yet here in person. SuperDuty owners around here almost all have the PSD motor, with the occasional 5.4.

Ford can always change something even in mid-year or any time in any model year, just like they did on the 2003 SuperDuty with the Powerstroke diesel. It was changed from the original 7.3L motor with the EEC-V PCM to the new 6.0 motor with the Black Oak PCM.

Give us a shout when your new V10 comes in to let us know the computer code, & then we'll be able to get you the specific info on it & let you know when we can tune it. The intkae & exhaust should be unchanged, but let's make sure of that when yours arrives. As long as there is no change on yours, we already have the intake & exhaust covered for you.

No, I would not go with a true dual exhaust on that V-10, as that is going to cost you a bunch of torque below 3000 rpm at any throttle position. Magnaflow makes a great exhaust for that V-10, it sounds very nice (no ratty coffee can or booming sounds like some of them are).

Thanks for touching base Firedude, & talk to you soon!

Quick Reply: Micro Tuner "Insatallation"?