Chip Vs Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip Vs Shift Kit

Guys.

After two years with my hypertec I'm thinking of going to Superchip. One of the things I really want out of the Superchip is a firmer shift than I currently have.

Do you think this alone will give me what I'm looking for or would you suggest a shift kit such as transgo?

John

Old 10-29-2002, 08:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi John,

At heavier throttle positions you'll feel a bit firmer shift from the Superchip tuning as compared to the Hypertech, but that's really more from having better work done on the soft-shift aspects and other areas in the program that make more power available. Like removing the transitional timing retards, which stops the big power drop during the upshifts, especially at heavier throttle. That additional power during the upshift generally makes the shift feel firmer, even without any more line pressure.

If you are looking for shifts that are hard enough to chirp the tires on the 1-2 WOT upshift, then the way to accomplish that is by using both the Superchip and the Transgo shift kit together. The Superchip takes care of all the program issues (shift delays upshift & downshift, retards that reduce engine power, and increasing line pressure a bit & some other tweaks), and the shift kit allows the transmission to be physically capable of flowing more fluid *volume* in less time, too, and that is an important aspect of this. Without opening up certain orifices, different springs, etc., you can't get a quick enough clutch fill time to get a nice tire-shirping shift at heavy throttle, even with higher line pressure it's basically like trying to drain a swimming pool thru a straw. If you do only the mechanical aspect, meaning the shift kit, then you still have all the shift delays and power reductions (as much as 50 hp) during the upshifts. So they really need to work together for best results, *if* you want a tire-chirping upshift at full throttle.

It really gets down to just how hard you want that transmission to shift at various throttle positions. The basic guideline is, if you want a tire-chirping full throttle 1-2 upshift, then you need to do both the Superchip and the shift kit. It you just want better performance and a bit firmer shifting than what you got from that Hypertech, then the Superchip alone will usually be fine.

We recommend starting off on Level 1 with the shift kit anytime it's being used in conjunction with changing the transmision programming (meaning the Superchip), as that usually gets you a nice tire-cnhiper when your foot is to the floor, while still giving a tolerable light-throttle shift characteristic.

If you'd like to go over this in more detail, give us a call & we'll be happy to see just what kind of shifts you're getting now, what kind of shifts you want, and that will dictate what will be the best way to get there. This is just some basic info for now.

Old 10-30-2002, 07:33 AM
Thanks

Mike,

Thanks again for the info. I called yesterday and talked with a very nice lady at your office. She gave me some great information. I think I'm going to go with the microtuner. It will allow a little more firmer shifts than just the chip, correct? I'm not looking to chirp the tires, but I would like to be able to tell when the trans is going to shift. It sometimes seems as though it's hunting for the right gear. I'll start off with the stock program and then move up on the firmness if needed. Could you goive me an example of stock chip vs the tuner firmness? For instance if the tuner has 3 levels of firmness would level 2 be twice as firm, 1.25 times as firm, etc? I know it's probably seat of the pants and subjective but if I can get by with just the tuner I'd be thrilled. Don't want to break into the internals of the tranny unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks,

John

Old 10-30-2002, 07:38 AM
Phone Call

Mike,

No need to return my call today. I gave your assistant my number yesterday. I have the info I need. I'm going to try and sneak this one in as a christmas present. Hopefully will be able to order around the first week or so of Dec.

John

Old 10-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi John,

Yes, you are correct. You can crank up the shift firmness in the Micro Tuner to a level that would be higher than what we do in the "standard" performance program that comes in either the traditional Superchip module or in the Micro Tuner. In the heavier trucks, and those whose transmissions just can't flow quite as miuch fluid volume, you cannot get it to shift hard enough to chirp the tires with the Micro Tuner.

If someone wants their transmission to shift hard enough to chirp the tires, then that's the time to do both the Superchip tuning *and* the Transgo shift kit, so that all issues are properly addressed and it's safer for the transmission, too. Trying to make a transmission shift hard enough to bark the tires solely by cranking the line pressure up in the program is kinda like trying to drain a swimming pool thru a straw, and works the front pump harder as well, so we don't like that as a long-term solution. Again, we're talking about in the case of actually making it shift hard enough to chirp the tires in these heavy trucks, we're not talking about just getting a good firm, positive upshift like you're talking about.

The adjustments to shift firmness are there primarily to let people compensate for taller tires, as the taller the tire, the more line pressure is needed to effect a good positive upshift.

Thanks for calling today, I'm glad our staff was able to help you & good luck with Santa!

Quick Reply: Chip Vs Shift Kit