Calling Mike Troyer.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling Mike Troyer.

I've been reading some of your responces to others about how Amoco is a good quality fuel. And I've also seen how you refer refer to Amoco as "Amoco/BP. Are Amoco and BP the same company? Are they the same gas? I live in East Tennessee close to the Virginia border, and there is a BP station a 1/4 mile from my house. What do you know about the BP gas here in the east? I have been using Chevron 87 lately. But my engine is about to ping itself to death. And the Chevron I use is ther cheapest gas around. I was just wondering what station would you prefer out of these choices: BP, Shell, Phillip's 66, and Citgo. I've ruled out the Chevron. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2002, 10:48 AM
FYI, Mike is at the Sema show and I don't beleive he's returning until next week...To my knowledge it really depends on the refinery the station is using as well as the quaility of there holding tanks. Keep in mind several stations in your area might use the same refinery. I have always heard good things about Chevron so this might be isloated to that station. Try another brand of fuel and see if the pinging stops. BP and Shell are also well known in the area but I believe it has alot to do with the station itself. Also make sure there is no Ethanol in the fuel at the station your using. I don't believe that is a common practice for that area but I did notice alot of stations up north using ethanol in there fuel on a previous trip. Hope this helps.

Old 11-03-2002, 11:03 AM
Thanks man. I did'nt know Mike was away. I'll try Shell or BP. Anything is better than the Chevron around here. It's funny, the Chevron around here is about 5 to 6 cents cheaper than other name brand stations like Shell and BP. It must be just another cheap gas station buying cheap fuel. BTW, thanks for the info.

Old 11-03-2002, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Everyone,

This is my last round of responses (that I didn't expect to be able to make) before we head out the door for SEMA.................

British Petroleum did indeed buy out Amoco. BP has traditionally been a dirty, low energy cheap brand, while Amoco has traditionally been just the opposite, what a match of opposites!

So far, Amoco is generally still the excellent fuel in most places that it traditionally always has been. Some of those stations are being redone with the green & yellow BP logo, but if it actually says Amoco fuels on the pump, then you're usually still getting good Amoco fuel. I've personally used it, and it's fine here in the Mid-Atlantic.

Your comment about Chevron in your area being cheap & low quality is the same thing we find in much of the East, but our West, it's just the opposite; in many areas west of Texas, especially on the West coast, Chevron is doing a great job, sometimes the very best, particularly in their premium grade. So fuel quality even in the same brand varies widely sometimes from one area to the next.

Here in our area for example, the very best fuel locally is Citgo (our Texaco has dropped in quality locally), and in a number of areas in the East, Citgo is a good fuel; it is on both Ford & BMW's "good gas" list.

Out of all the brands you listed, Citgo would be my preference out of all of them, and I don't like to use any of the rest, though I do have to say that you might be OK with Shell, as in some areas here in the East Shell is indeed doing a good job. Try the Citgo for at least 3 tanks, and if you don't like that fuel, then try the Shell for 3 tanks, and do precise consistent MPG tracking to identify the relative energy content to compare.

Good luck!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 11-09-2002 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:50 PM
Thanks Mike.

Quick Reply: Calling Mike Troyer.