Microtuner Test

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 06:08 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi JMC,

Well said, it's the clutch slippage that creates the additional heat, not increased line pressure. Additional line pressire causes the clutches to be engaged more firmly and quicker, thus reducing slippage, thus *reducing* heat.

That having been said, we don't like to see line pressure cranked up really high *solely* via electronic means, so as not to overwork the front pump.

Just FYI, the Micro Tuner *does* allow the shift firmness level to be altered either up or down from stock in the non-Lightning F-150's. So if someone had say, a shift kit or a valve body that caused the shifting to be too harsh, the Micro Tuner can be used to calm that back down in most cases.

Old 11-15-2002, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texcowboy9:

I really hate to ruin your day but it looks like you have a 4.2 V-6. You are in the same situtation as me "no Micro Tuner" for us yet. It only works in the V-8's.

I was reading all the good things about the Micro Tuner months ago getting all excited about it, just about ready to call and order one and even asked Mike some questions about it.

For one I have to say I have alot of respect for Mike he caught on real quick that I only had a V-6 and informed me that it wouldn't do anything for me except as a scanner. Most sale's people may have just ignored it and let me buy one and find out for myself or figure "once he gets it and see's he can use it as a scanner he'll keep it" Anyway I gained alot of respect for Mike on that catch.

The good thing is you can "bug" Mike like me about the tuner for the V-6 , only problem, is he has nothing to do with it as far as when they will have one for the V-6. Mike did however give me "HOPE" he put me on a list for the tuner for V-6 so when they do come out I will be notified. I say "when" not if...

Old 11-15-2002, 06:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi LightningCrew,

Nice to see you drop by again!

Yes, the Superchips Micro Tuner is a fairly recent release for the F-150, though we've made them for years for GM vehicles and for some time now for the Ford Powerstroke diesels, it is relatively new for the F-150/Expedition/Lightning models.

Yes, you use the Micro Tuner in place of the traditional Superchip module, that is correct. The only exception to that would be if you had significant engine modifications that required custom engine tuning (supercharger, nitrous, different MAF, fuel iinjector sizing, etc.), then in that situation you would still need to use the traditional Superchip module.

The Micro Tuner has all 1200+ different programs for all 1997 & up F-150's, Expeditions, Lightnings, etc. built in. When you connect it to your OBD-II port, it queries the PCM in yuour vehicle and downloads it's stock program to store in the Micro Tuner so you can return to stock anytime, and then does an internal lookup to upload the correct code-matched Superchips performance program for each individual vehicle.

You can choose to just accept all the defaults, which gets you the same tuning as you would get in the Superchip module, or you can go into the options menus to do things like correct the speedo & odo for gear ratio and/or tire size changes (1999 & up models), set your own 1-2, 2-3 & 3-4 individual WOT upshift points, and you can even alter shift firmness level for each of those shifts individually as well. The Micro Tuner also has a built-in OBD-II code scanner, so it's a heck of a value.

Also, if you have a friend that wants to try it, or say you have a couple of trucks and drive a different one on weekends only, you can return your vehicle to stock and let a friend try it in any other 1997 & up F-150 with a V8 engine, and then once he's done he can return his vehicle back to stock and hand you back the Micro Tuner so you can reinstall it in your vehicle. The only limitation is that it can be used to tune 1 vehicle at a time. Also, after you have used it to tune a vehicle, you can still use it as an OBD-II code scanner on just about any 1996 & up FoMoCo vehicle.

Please feel free to give us a shout if you'd like to go over any of this in more detail, etc.

Old 11-15-2002, 06:39 PM
First of all let me say that if any of yall are interested in this product, listen to what Mike has to say. I know I did and went ahead and purchased the microtuner, along with wires, plugs and some MSD performance coils...I purchased all this extra stuff because my truck was coming up on 100,000 miles...I know Mike was a bit surprised when I told him that, but I baby my truck. As far as the microtuner goes, all I can say is WOW! You folks that are a bit leary about opening your computer up and putting a new chip in, well don't because the extra money is damned well worth the aggrevation....Again, I know I thank Mike for all his assistance dealing with me and thanks for making my truck shift firmer, run faster and just feel better all together...there's my two cents worth....thanks for listening.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-15-2002, 07:09 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi 01 XLT Sport,

Thanks very much for your post to Texcowboy9 about the Micro Tuner not currently being available for the 4.2 V-6 engines yet, as I had not actually taken a look at his signature line to check, D-oh!

We did talk to Superchips about this again at SEMA, as promised, and in time they hope to have the 4.2 V-6 codes built into the Micro Tuner too, of course. The issue is that they just need more raw storage space than is currently available for the hundreds more programs that are required to properly support all the 1997 & up 4.2 V-6 codes as well.

Thanks for your post!

Old 11-15-2002, 07:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Terry,

Thanks for your post, that's very kind of you to say.

I wasn't too surprised by the fact that you have almost 100K miles on your truck, but I have to admit was *very* surprised to see it looking so darn good at 100K miles! Most of them have rock chips, road dings, etc., at least all over the front end, it's darn near impossible to avoid.

That current picture of your truck you just posted is absolutely beautiful, very nice rich red color, and I like that bumper cover and the wheels, too. Looks like they have a nice sized "lip" on the edge, that's something a lot of wheels today don't have, and it looks great. Most of us would drool to have a brand new truck looking that good, let alone a truck with 100K miles on it.

Have fun!

Old 11-15-2002, 09:14 PM
Thanks

Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me this afternoon. I really apreciated it!! You gave me a wealth of info. Here's my plan, let me know what you think.

1. Install new valve body - Now
2. Purchase Microtuner and adjust shift firmness up or down depending on how it reacts with valve body upgrade - January
3. Purchase the Derale auxilliary transmission cooler with fan - March/April.

I think this should cover my bases. Can you supply me with the necessary info as to what I'll need on the cooler? I already have the stock auxilliary cooler, so I assume the Derale would be in place of that? Which model would you suggest? Would it swap out fairly easily? I checked out there site and there's almost too much to choose from. I assume i'd want the auto thermostat as well?

Regards,

John

Old 11-15-2002, 09:44 PM
Mike:

Your very welcome, and I personally can not wait until ones is avalible for the V-6. It will be a HAPPY day.

Terry:

That truck has over 100,000 miles on it? WOW what an AWESOME looking truck. Is that a regular F150 with the stepside? What year? I have an 01 Sport stepside and I really REALLY like your ground effects on it. Can you tell me more about it, like where you bought it, part number/numbers, cost? Was it hard to install or did you have it installed? Sorry for all the questions but you asked for it by posting such a great looking truck

Old 11-15-2002, 09:49 PM
Thanks Mike, it means a lot to me to hear someone compliment my truck. I've had it going on 6 1/2 years now and as we've discussed in the past, it's been virtually maintainance free. I'll definitely be contacting you in the near future to discuss some other performance ideas....if any of you folks out there who happen to live in the Fort Walton Beach, Florida way would like to try this product, just let me know. I'll be more than happy to set my truck back to stock, just so you can see what this product does. I'm sure you'd contact Mike for one of your own afterwards...yall have a great night.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-16-2002, 10:37 PM
JMC & Mike T

Are you telling me that excessive line pressure doesn't create heat!!!!

JMC, you said in clearer terms exactly what I was tring to say, my choice of words suck! Especially late at night. But it was the exact point I was trying to make.

Yes slipping clutches create heat, no brainer.......However running higher line pressures does in fact raise temps of the fluid as well. Maybe not as much as the friction from the clutches.

I know all too well the dynamics of transmissions and how they operate.(many talks with Phil Molski of PMR Performance, and Harvey Baker - Performance Automatic Gaithersburg MD When I had my Stangs AOD built)

I have a temp gauge (transmission)in my stang, I can raise line pressure(via TV cable) and watch the temp go up. I run more line pressure at the drag strip, than on the street.

All I was saying is the amount of heat from a shift kit could in fact be more because of the baseline setting. The chip only increases line pressure as needed(linear), while a kit raises the baseline, as both of you mention.

You are however wrong if you think that raising line pressures has no effect on heat production. It may very well be less than the heat that would be created by slipping clutch plates and steels, however it is present. The amount may not be a concern, and may in fact be a benefit by reducing condensation.

Old 11-17-2002, 03:30 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
OK, I was wrong. Increasing the base line pressure will increase heat.

KMC

Old 11-17-2002, 04:09 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi John,

It was our pleasure!

Sure, just give us a call & I can go over the specific units we're using with you, and it will be installed in addition to your factory auxiliary cooler, you won't be removing that unit (unless you wanted to for some reason).

We supply the active cooling unit complete with the automatic thermostat & everything else needed, so you don't have to worry about ordering all the various bits & pieces, they will all be there. Once you install it you can basically forget it, it's done and does the job on it's own without anything further needing to be done other than the occasional visual inspection normally done during oil changes. We use the stacked plate coolers, just give us a call for all the details.

As far as the rest of your planned upgrades, sure, that all sounds fine and just what we discussed, with the abilty to adjust the line pressure as may be needed for the valve body, etc., looks like a good plan.

Old 11-17-2002, 04:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Terry,

Well, you certainly deserve all the kudos, every time people see that truck they know it's gorgeous, but once they realize it has 100K miles on it their jaws drop, as did mine.

Keep up the good work!

Old 11-17-2002, 04:37 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi jstang,

Easy, big guy!

I don't recall anyone saying that "excessive line pressure can't create heat."

What I (and I assumed JMC as well) were talking about was specifically with regard to the kinds of changes that are present in the Superchips programming as well as what can & should be done in general, *those* were the basic topics of discussion at that point; that less heat is generated, partly as a result of using more line pressure, as that is one of several things done to reduce slippage in the clutches & bands.

Neither of us said that you *can't* create heat with "excessive" line pressure, of course you can!

Quick Reply: Microtuner Test