Mike T. or ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mike T. or ?

Hi

Best i can recall...if a "trb. light" is flashing and you have a schip installed...if a scan is done..it want get a correct trb.code reading?

Question: Is it possible to get a correct reading (scan) with chip in?

I posted about a/t "tcil" flashing (o/d light) Took chip out...about 100mi. now...no "tcil flashing" Sure miss the chip. I think im about ready to put it back in.

TIA.....OT

btw... Did 50mi. on 91oct...engine ran fine..finally put some 87oct in. I sure can tell the chip is not there.

Old 12-06-2002, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try cleaning the chip...

and the port...then tape it down after you install it

Old 12-08-2002, 08:09 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi OT,

It's *possible* to scan with a performance chip installed, but the fierst thing I have to point out (for obvious reasons) that's not the way to do things in general, you only do that when the vehicle literally won't run without it, which would be in a highly modified setup with custom tuning required. You always want to pull any aftermarket chip before diagnostics are done.

However, there are a coupla-few scan tools that can indeed scan the PCM (at least for OPD-II DTC's) with a chip present, so it's really a matter of what you have access to, and knowing it's characteristics. For example, *never* take it to a dealership service department with any chip installed, WDS will not be able to communicate, and the older SBDS will return a P0605 error, making inexperienced techs think something is wrong with the PCM when there is nothing worng at all. The P0605 code actually should be present with any performance chip installed on the J3 port, as that merely indicates the internal EPROM is not in use, that the PCM is obtaining it's instructions externally (via the chip).

If you have something like an NGS, or Autotap, etc., then sure, you can generally retrieve basic DTC's with a chip present with those kinds of diagnostic tools.

If you want to go over this in more detail feel free to call, & good luck!

Quick Reply: Mike T. or ?