Going through alternators

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002 | 07:36 PM
|
Going through alternators

Why do I keep going through alternators? I'm on my 7th one and I don't know why? It's really getting to me and I'm ready to get rid of the truck if I can't fix it.
Please help!

Old 12-16-2002 | 10:11 PM
What is the year and model of your turck and what is installed in it? By installed I mean electrical stuff like stereo equipment, lights, chargers, CB radios, etc.

If you have a lot of stuff like that installed, consider a Alternator with a higher Amp rating that he one you have now.

If not, it sounds like an electrical system graemlin, and those are expensive to find.

Old 12-17-2002 | 04:42 PM
|
It's a 2000 and I really don't have anything in there. It has been doing this since I bought it. It seems to be getting worse though.

Old 12-17-2002 | 10:47 PM
Did you buy it new? If so, were any of these replacements done under warranty?

If so, why did you not seek lemon law protections on the truck?

As for the alternator problem itself, my guess is that something, somewhere is drawing WAY too much power than it needs causing excessive strain on the alternator. Probably a high drain item like headlamps, on-board computer, or instrument cluster. Are the headlamps stock or some aftermarket add on? some of those "super-white" fake HID bulbd draw way more amps than they are supposed to...

Someone more knowledgable than me is going to have to see what they can come up with. I was half expecting you to tell me you had four stereo amps and a rack of flashlight and phone chargers in there and I was gonna get to say "DUH!"

Old 12-18-2002 | 07:57 AM
My 92 eats em pretty regular, the don't quit charging though, the rear bearing starts making a noise. Ford did'nt use a sealed rear bearing, at least for my year. Big mistake if you gotta 4x4 and use it regularly like I do. Is your's not charging or do have my problem?

Old 12-18-2002 | 09:17 AM
WLF
Get your next one from NAPA. Buy their lifetime replacement Alternator and get the Heavy duty one for the F150's with the tow package, I think it is the 120 amp. If it goes bad again, it's replaced free. I had to put one in my truck about 40,000 miles ago. Not had another problem since.

Quick Reply: Going through alternators