Urgent OEM Foglight wiring help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003 | 05:53 PM
|
Question Urgent OEM Foglight wiring help needed

As I had stated before I had purchased the OEM valance/foglight kit and just installed it. The problem is the lights wont work when wired as the kit states. I can get it to work when I ground out a yellow wire but then they are on all the time w/ headlamps on. The wiring is wired as stated below by the kit directions.

Tan/orange-----Foglamp left and right
Black-----Foglamp left and right and then to ground
This harness runs up to firewall and splits to the relay cover and also inside the cab.

The part that goes to the relay area (starter solenoid +) has the following:
Black from the fogs --- ground screw on firewall
Fused Pos red wire---connects to + lower terminal on starter solenoid then runs back through harness to split in harness through cab.

The tan/orange and red positive run through firewall into passenger cabin where it connects to another fuse holder and a Bosch relay. Its wired as follows.

Red + power wire in ---connects to 1 side of fuse holder. Other side has Red + wire coming out as well as a white/black wire along with it.
The Red + connects to #30 on relay
Tan/Orange connects to #87
Now it adds more wires on the relay connector that runs as follows:
Yellow wire to headlamp switch connecting to # 85 on relay
White/ black wire from fuse holder above also runs to headlamp switch
Red/Black wire from relay # 86 to connector on low beam wire (tapped in)
There is no wire on 87a or connector in relay for it.

The yellow wire and white/black wire that run to headlamp switch connects as follows replacing factory wires in the connector location. IE: replace yellow wire with new yellow and replace white/black wire with same. The new Hadlamp switch with foglamp control has these new pin outs on for it as well as one for the black wire in harness connector. There was no pin out for these on the old headlamp switch. They connect as follows:
Yellow wire to # 5 on wiring connector
White/black to #2 on wiring connector
(They pin out for headlamp switch ground wire has a corresponding pin out on wiring connector from factory)

Here is where the problem arises. I have headlights and dimmer control as before but the foglight indicator light stays on in off or on position. It will go out when high beams are turned on as it should. The foglights do not come on in either position. I found out by palying around that if I ground out the yellow wire on relay or back of wiring connector in headlamp switch the fogs will come on but in reverse position of what they should be. They will be on in the off position and vice versa.

I`ve wracked my brain trying to figure this out and the EVTM wiring diagrams are not much help since it use the factory wires and not new harness that by-passes the factory harness for power etc. Althogh new harness uses identical color coding for it...
I want to be able to use new factory switch but need to get it working first.
Anyone add this to their 2000 model?? Any idea if the headlamp wires are in the right spot for the switch to work. I had the Ford dealer check the headlamp switch and its the right one for a 2000 F150 with factory fogs...
Any help would be greatly appreciated on getting this to work with factory look.

Yellow to

Last edited by 2000FordStyle; 06-26-2003 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2003 | 07:30 PM
|
Here is a little more confusion to add to the mix or better understanding of it......

I can jumper the tan/orange wire in the relay(fogs) to the red/white black combo side of the fuse holder and manually make the lights come on with headlamps on. By using a rocker I can shut them on and off with lowbeams only but they cut off with highs(way its supposed too). Kind of the way the headlamp switch fog light control is supposed to do. No ground wire needed to ground the yellow wire in this situation for lights to work

Now I can remove the relay from the connector with the above switch in place and it still works as stated with lowbeams only and they shut off when the lights are turned off. This also lets the headlamp switch indicator work as it should also with the pull out for fogs( it illuminates fog icon) and push in to shut them off( illuminated fog icon goes off). Since the relay is off it will not control the actual on/off of the fogs. It also de-illuminates the fog icon in high beam mode.

I think the relay wiring is the issue and it may have come wired wrong from the factory. Im still not sure excatly what the yellow wire does. With a volt meter the power output on it varies with it according to switch position. I found the following:

If wired according to installation instructions where the fogs dont light with switch . Wires and relay all as required and no fogs in any position. By adding a ground wire to the yellow wire on back of relay it shows the following
Headlights on and fog switch pushed in(off) the fogs are ON and the voltage off the yellow wire is low
Headlights on and the fog switch pulled out (on) the fogs are OFF and the voltage high.

Any clues with these additional scenarios

Old 06-26-2003 | 08:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The wiring actually looks correct.
The Tan/Org stripe wire is on one side of the N.O. contacts, the the fused Red wire is on the other side of the N.O. contacts.
When the relay coil is closed, the power goes to the driving lamps. Simple enough.

The part that concerns me is with the directions for wiring the switch.
The 2001 EVTM shows that the Yellow wire is the output of the fog lamp switch and indicator lamp for the same.
The Ground side of the coil is hooked to the Red/black stripe wire ?? The EVTM on page 86-2 shows the pin 86 should be tired to ground, not the low beam ?? Got me why the directions show that.
If you connect the yellow wire ( output of the fog lamp switch ) to the terminal #85, then ground should be on pin # 86 ( that is effectivly what the EVTM shows on page 86-2, lower left hand side.

The Yellow output of the fog lamp switch should have power removed when not in the head lamp position, and when the multifunction switch is in the high beam position.
This is controled by the White w/ black stripe wire via the central junction box fuse #27 ( 5A ). ( shown on the top of page 86-2 and 86-1 ).

I'd say the directions are a little hookey with the pin #86 connection to the Red w/ black stripe wire, rather then direct to ground.

With all this said, and checking my thoughts, I would ground pin #86, rather then taking this from the head lamp switch.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Steve

Old 06-26-2003 | 09:11 PM
|
SSCULLY (Steve)

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!
Just went out and pulled the red wire with black stripe off the lowbeam wire that was tapped and moved it to a temp ground spot.
Turned on the lights and the fogs worked when the switch was pulled out and the fog light Icon illuminated. Pushed in the switch and the fogs went off as well as the fog icon. Turned the high beams on and the fogs went off when the switch had them turned on. It all works as supposed to.

The directions were all good to this point and I thought I had tried anything I could think of.

MANY MANY thanks as you just completed my project for the day. Now to go put all the dash back together.
Thanks again

Last edited by 2000FordStyle; 06-26-2003 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-27-2003 | 01:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

2000FordStyle,

Good to hear it worked out.

Hope you got your dash back together, and all is lookng and working good.

Chalk up another mod for the month, and enjoy it.

Steve

Quick Reply: Urgent OEM Foglight wiring help needed