267 miles already having problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 267 miles already having problems

I just recently bought a F-150 5.4 4x4 Supercab and on the 2nd day of ownership, it would not start (would turn over put not start). After trying for numerous times, it would eventually start. This happened 3 times on different starting occasions. Took it in to dealership, the computer chip in key wasnt talking to computer in the truck. Resulting in, replacing the dash cluster. Then went to pick up, THEN, (was a rainy day) the wipers would only come on when the truck was in PARK only. Is this the potential of a on going problem...for this is my first truck ever, and I am trying to maintain a positive attitude, but with a work buddy saying "My 5 ford trucks have never been in the shop" and MINE has bee in the shop within 2 days.....Prayers. Your suggestions would be appreciative.

Old 09-27-2003, 09:18 AM
PS This is a 2003 F-150

New 2003

Old 09-27-2003, 10:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I hate reading stuff like this. I've had a day one experience once too. Shift lever popped out of linkage on an AOD in my '88 F-150. Fixed it myself.

You are dealing with electrical. It is possible that something happened when the tech repaired the cluster. Give it another chance and keep us posted.

Mike

Old 09-29-2003, 07:53 PM
I agree with MKTRUCK, sounds like second problem was result from work related to repair of cluster..... One thing that concerns me with your dealer is why they replaced the dash cluster??

Sounds like to me either you had a bad key or the ignition switch needed to be changed.......

I've been driving my 2004 Supercrew now for 2 weeks and have had absolutely no problems......

Old 10-03-2003, 03:07 PM
Problem Resolved

The Ford dealership service dept found standing water in the computer module area (thats what they said anyway). Said it was effecting all the electronic circuitry. She is a BORN again beauty. Thank you for help keeping the chin up.

Old 10-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Lightbulb More weird stuff! and a fix!

Round One: I had water corrosion in my fuse box a few months ago which caused this problem, but it was my own damn fault! I used the car wash spray wand sometimes to clean the interior of the driver's side. Obviously, this would cause water to splash up underneath there , this before I knew about the windshield/GEM module problems!!! Oops, my bad.

Round Two: But, recently this past weekend, I had a SIMILAR WEIRD problem when I got word that my headlights were still on!

Turns out that the switch was actually off, and the truck locked, and the DRLs were on with the key out along with the ABS light I think and the odometer reading was all dashes across the display. And the check engine light was on I'm pretty sure too. Weird! Was it Christine?

To top it all off, the chime was not working for the lights/belts/or key in ignition, and the engine would crank normally but wouldn't start. At this point the THEFT LIGHT was blinking erratically as well!

So I disconnected the battery for a bit then reconnected it and it started, and everything operated normally WHILE RUNNING, but when I shut it off the gages went weird again like I described above.

I got looking into the manual on the fusebox and on a hunch I removed the 5th relay, the accessory delay relay. That solved the DRLs remaining on problem!! but I still had the ABS light and the dashes on the OD with the key off and out.

So I replaced that relay by swapping it with the #4 relay (which are identical BTW), the one-touch-down relay, and horray...everything was normal again! (except for the #4 relay I stole to replace it with...I had no driver's side power window now)

Then I took the faulty #5 relay, placed it in the #4 position, and the power windows worked too...apparently the power windows don't need the faulty part of this relay...

This didn't cost me a cent but an hour of my time! and fixed a potentially costly problem and a dealer throwing parts at it

Last edited by zachary1; 10-06-2003 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 267 miles already having problems