Adding fog lights via the factory harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Adding fog lights via the factory harness

For all of you who are contemplating adding fog lights via the factory harness, this is what I discovered today:

1. On my truck (2001 'Screw XLT) the harness, relays and fuses were all in place from the factory.

2. I installed the factory light switch with integrated fog lamp switch in the dash. No mods (other than the mechanical fog light operation mod) were necessary.

3. Behind the front bumper, directly beneath the headlights and coming from the same main harness are 2 - 2 wire connectors, 1 on each side obviously. The connectors were blue in color and the wires going to them were Black and Tan/Orange. Both sides use the same wiring colors.

4. When I activate the fog lamp switch, 12 volts is present on these leads. Of course, they don't light in the Autolamp position when it is light outside. Guess how I know that ?

Anyway, I've seen postings on doing this from time to time and thought I'd throw it out here for anyone else thinking about doing it. In my case, it was ridiculously easy.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a 2001 XLT supercrew, and I recently changed the grille and headlight bezel to honeycomb style, and the headlights to the Harley-Davidson style with built in foglights. Since I had all the factory equipment (relay, fuse, foglight connectors) in place, I simply had to buy a Motorcraft SW5556 headlight switch (foglight, but no autolight) module. It cost less than $50 on Amazon.com. The blue foglight connectors located below my headlight sockets were extended using inline crimp splices and parts of the wiring harness supplied with the new headlights. I now have additional lighting (when on regular beams) and was able to complete the project in only a couple of hours.

Quick Reply: Adding fog lights via the factory harness