Sylvania Silver Star Halogen Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003 | 11:02 AM
|
Sylvania Silver Star Halogen Headlights

Just wondering has anybody installed this headlights or should i just stick with the Xtra Vision Halogen lights.And is it hard to intsall this lights.thanks Darren landis

Old 12-24-2003 | 11:20 AM
many use them and i'm one of them they are grate and would say get them if you want better but not to costly lights and they are about the olny ones that are DOT Legal

Old 12-27-2003 | 12:48 AM
Moderator &
Darren,

There are multitudes of Silverstar users on this board and I have yet to really hear a solid complaint chirped about them.

I'm currently running them in my fog lights (not in my heads because I went to a HID (High Intensity Discharge) system) and I love them!!!

They're more than worth the price.

Installation is VERY simple and is highlighted in your user's manual that came with your truck. I don't think you can go wrong with Sylvania Silverstars!

RP

Old 12-27-2003 | 01:03 AM
RockPick,

What is recommended for headlights in lieu of the Silverstars? One of my fogs is out so I am going to replace both of them with the Silverstar 9005s. I suspect that once I do that, I am going to want to upgrade the headlights, too!

John

Old 12-27-2003 | 01:18 AM
Moderator &
Not sure what you're asking Flare....

I don't think you'll be sorry that you replace both fogs with the 9005 bulb.

RP

Old 12-27-2003 | 11:16 AM
You mentioned above that you didn't use the SilverStars in your Headlights - was wondering what alternatives you might recommend as I figure that once I replace the fogs, I am going to want to replace the headlights with something brighter, too!

John

Old 12-27-2003 | 10:09 PM
Moderator &
Originally posted by FlaresideGuy
You mentioned above that you didn't use the SilverStars in your Headlights - was wondering what alternatives you might recommend as I figure that once I replace the fogs, I am going to want to replace the headlights with something brighter, too!

John
Ahh, sorry about that. I misunderstood...

Well... as an alternative to Silverstar bulbs in my headligts, I installed Sylvania Xenarcs. They are a true High Intensity Discharge (HID) system specially made for late model (97-03) F-150's/Expeditions.

You'll notice that they're a full headlight assembly replacement set... the light output is outstanding and can't be compared with a regular bulb like a silverstar. Of course, the system is a touch more expensive than a $25 bulb too.

RP

Old 12-27-2003 | 10:17 PM
Thumbs up Lights

Hi, I actually installed the Nokya Artic White headlights and fogs in mine, only takes about 10 minutes. They are AWESOME, bright blueish-white, very cool looking, and they light up the Interstate at nite like an UFO, way better than any I see driving around, and they are very reasonably priced. I will never go back to the other kind. I bought mine through www.autothing.com , though I am sure you could find them elsewhere.

Old 12-28-2003 | 12:50 AM
>>>>I just installed Silverstar 9007s in my headlights and the 9005s in my fog lights. I'm very pleased with them and especially the fog light upgrade. I'd recommend them for sure. I got them at Advance Auto Parts which is having sale on Sylvania lights including the Silverstars. They were buy one bulb for $19.98 and get the second bulb for half price. Plus they have a $6.00 mail in rebate to boot so once you figure in that you're gettin one bulb for $19.98 and the second for around $3.99. The most you can send in from one address is for $12.00 in rebates or two sets of bulbs. After the rebates I got both sets of Silverstars and upgraded my headlights and fog lights for around $50.00 after tax.

Old 12-28-2003 | 01:26 AM
RockPick,

I should have known! [Both that the upgrade was more than just a bulb and that is cost more $$$]

I think I'll try the Silverstar route for now - especially noting the current rebate offer that I saw at Autozone and that is mentioned in another post.

I take it that the Silverstars are one of the best without replacing the entire headlight assembly.

Thanks for the note - btw, I frequent the "other f150 sites" every now and then, but this forum is by far my favorite

John

Old 12-28-2003 | 12:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I took out my Fosser 80/100 Hallogen bulbs and put in SilverStars. I did one side and turned on the headlamps, and the SilverStar bulb looked to be a whiter and brighter lamp ( stock wattage ), when comared to the Flosser 80/100 bulb.

I have Silver Star bulbs in both my ZX-9R and my ZG-1000-A17 motorcycles as well. Makes a big difference there, with a single bulb ( ZREX is a 99, not the newer dual lamp series ).

Fog lamps, I have no clue on, I have the PIAA airdam and the PIAA 510 driving lamps, and 520 Crystal ION fogs lamps, so I don't have a way to compare those to stock with Silver Star bulbs in them.

Good luck

Old 12-28-2003 | 04:08 PM
Moderator &
Originally posted by FlaresideGuy
I think I'll try the Silverstar route for now - especially noting the current rebate offer that I saw at Autozone and that is mentioned in another post.
I really don't think you can go wrong. I'm not sure I can remember a single complaint on the SS bulbs! You'll certainly never hear one out of me!

RP

Old 01-03-2004 | 10:30 AM
|
Ok i went yesterday and got my new lights,can anybody offer any tips on putting them in.

Old 01-03-2004 | 04:52 PM
You'll find great instructions on how to change both headlight and fog light bulbs in your Owner's Manual. The 9007 headlight bulbs are a straight swap. The 9005 fog lights will require one minor modification to the tabs on the bulb. If you compare your stock bulb to the new Silverstar, you'll see one tab is a bit wider than stock. A quick trim with a pair of diagonal cutters will do the trick. Make sure not to touch the glass portion of any of the bulbs during installation because the oil in your fingerprints will cause a hot spot on the bulb - causing it to burn out early. If you need more help, drop us another post. I think you'll love the results.

Old 01-03-2004 | 05:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally posted by 97snw
Ok i went yesterday and got my new lights,can anybody offer any tips on putting them in.
Buy me some and I will post a HOWTO article here with pictures... LOL

Quick Reply: Sylvania Silver Star Halogen Headlights