No air bags, no cruise

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004 | 10:52 PM
|
Unhappy No air bags, no cruise

I think this might be a tough one!
I have been driving my 2000 supercab for 3 years now without the air bags activated and of course no cruise because of it. The dealer told me that both bags are no good (junkyard bags that I put in when I built the truck) and that he tested them by diconnecting them at the bag and jumping the connector with a special plug. With the plugs in, the system was able to be activated so everything else is ok. What this tells me is there is a supervisory signal to tell the system that the bags are ok and still connected. What I would like to do is make a set of test jumpers to install so that I can activate the system and get my cruise working. Does anyone know what the supervisory signal is supposed to be (millivolts, milliamps) so that I can design the jumpers.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-16-2004 | 01:54 AM
3 ohm resistor thats the resistance the module sees in the air bag circuit.

now has your vehicle been in a wreck? does the horn work? and you say the cruise does not work. you could have a bad clock spring causing an open in the cruise circuit there are many other reasons for a cruise control to fail. but i dont feel it is tied into the air bag circuit in any other way then the wiring for the switches runs through the clock spring.

Old 07-16-2004 | 08:43 AM
Yes I agree it very well could be the clockspring. I just put one in my 97. The horn and cruise quit and that took care of it. My truck was wrecked when I bought it and I fixed it. I dont have the airbags working either.

Old 07-18-2004 | 11:57 AM
|
Thanks guys, I was told that the cruise would not work unless the airbags were activated because in a collision in which the cruise is being used and the bags are deployed the cruise is deactivated to prevent the truck from continuing to drive forward.
Cadman's truck has no bags and working cruise- I guess I've been misled!
My horn and the lights on the cruise buttons both work, do you guys know which plug and pin numbers on a column plug I could
use to test for continuity of the switches through the clockspring?

Old 07-19-2004 | 03:01 AM
the best place to start would be the connector at the cruise servo. each switch has a different resistance value. if they are in specs the switches and all the wiring are good.

Measure the resistance between speed control servo C157 pin 5, circuit 151 (LB/BK) harness side and speed control servo C157 pin 6, circuit 848 (DG/OG), harness side while depressing the speed control actuator switch as follows:
Speed Control Actuator Switch Resistance Value
Coast Between 114 and 126 ohms
SET/ACCEL Between 612 and 748 ohms
Resume Between 2090 and 2310 ohms
Off Less than 5 ohms

Old 07-19-2004 | 12:30 PM
|
Mr. Bentwrench
Thank you for the information, I can't wait to trouble shoot it but I am afraid I just learned today that I will be leaving the country for a month.
I will certainly give it a try when I return.

Thanks again

Old 08-22-2006 | 07:22 PM
'03 f150 speed control inop/ cig./pwr port fuses

Originally Posted by Mr_Bentwrench
the best place to start would be the connector at the cruise servo. each switch has a different resistance value. if they are in specs the switches and all the wiring are good.

Measure the resistance between speed control servo C157 pin 5, circuit 151 (LB/BK) harness side and speed control servo C157 pin 6, circuit 848 (DG/OG), harness side while depressing the speed control actuator switch as follows:
Speed Control Actuator Switch Resistance Value
Coast Between 114 and 126 ohms
SET/ACCEL Between 612 and 748 ohms
Resume Between 2090 and 2310 ohms
Off Less than 5 ohms

Does this apply to '03 supercrew also? No danger of the ohmmeter setting off the airbag? Any idea what possible relation the cigar lighter,front/data link connector fuse #f2.3 (in central fuse box-14a068) and fuse#f1.1, pwer port (19n236), might have with my inop. speed/cruise control? Thank you!

Quick Reply: No air bags, no cruise