Need Help with OEM Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004 | 06:07 PM
|
Need Help with OEM Alarm

Hey guys, I have searched for an answer but I can't find one.

I am a OEM alarm on my SCrew and every time I start putting in the keyless entry code, the alarm (horn & lights) start going off. I really use the keypad a lot and I live in a small town where people actually pay attention to car alarms.

Also, I hate the chirp about 10 seconds after locking the doors.

Can I disable the alarm or disconnect the lead to the horn? I like the starter kill feature but I don't like attention in a parking lot!!!

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-07-2004 | 12:46 PM
I have an '02 Scab Lariat with the OEM alarm. It is normal for the alarm to go off when you begin to use the keypad. Mine does the same thing. This is to discourage people from trying different codes in your keypad, at least that is what the service manager said at the dealer where I bought mine. I just always use the keyfob to lock & unlock the vehicle. If it's in valet mode, then there is no problem with using the keypad.
So, here is my opinion of the keypad:
It's there for emergency use only, like if I would lose my keys, keyfob, or lock my keys inside. It's not for everyday use, especially since normal operation of the alarm system is to sound off when a key on the keypad is depressed.

Old 08-07-2004 | 05:35 PM
|
Thanks Reloader

I am getting different versions of how to set the valet mode, how do you do it?

Last edited by Bigworm; 08-07-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2004 | 05:40 PM
There's a red light/button that is mounted on the bottom of the dash, just to the left of the steering column. To set it to valet mode, just press the button. When the truck is off, the light/button will blink twice about every second continually. To exit out of valet mode, press it again. When the alarm is set, it will blink once about every 2 seconds.

Old 08-09-2004 | 10:01 AM
|
Angry Valet mode

Here is what I have tried to do to set the valet mode:

Turn the key from off to run three times

Turn the key off and on and then push the button

Just push the button

NO LUCK!!

I have looked through my owner's manual and I guess the dealership didn't put the little book in the truck.

RELOADER - I understand what the dealer said about folks pushing in the wrong codes, but I don't use my keypad for emergencies. I use it all the time (when cycling or playing ball or whatever) and I don't like the HONK, HONK, HONK that comes every time.

How hard is it to remove the alarm and just use PATS for security?

Old 08-09-2004 | 08:20 PM
To put it into valet mode, just push the button. With the truck off, it will flash twice every second. To take it out of valet mode, push the button again. It has nothing to do with the ignition key, and turning it has no effect on the alarm.

Yes, you can remove the alarm, but then you will have....no alarm system. It is your choice if you want to rely on the PATS system alone, but if it were me, I would learn to take my keys and alarm fob with me. If someone breaks into my truck without an alarm in it, there is no noise...no horn honking, no lights flashing, nothing. The thief can be as quiet as a mouse taking everything that is on the inside. With the alarm, at least I have a fighting chance due to the noise.

If the alarm was installed at the dealer, you might want to take it back and have them uninstall it. The alarm integrates itself into the security system of the truck, and you don't want to be cutting the wrong wire.

Question...when the alarm is set, does the button flash once every second?

Old 08-09-2004 | 10:01 PM
|
Originally posted by Reloader
To put it into valet mode, just push the button. With the truck off, it will flash twice every second. To take it out of valet mode, push the button again. It has nothing to do with the ignition key, and turning it has no effect on the alarm.
Tried that - No flashing and the alarm still set and went off

Question...when the alarm is set, does the button flash once every second?
No, it only flashes when the alarm is "tripped"

BTW, you can't push my red light, there is a button under the dash next to the e-brake release.

Old 08-10-2004 | 07:43 AM
Take it back to the dealer that installed it, or the dealer where you bought your truck. That red light is supposed to be a light/pushbutton. The other button is the emergency shut off button.
There is nothing you can do about the alarm going off when you use the keypad, you just need to get it into valet mode, or do like I suggested. Take your keys with you.

Quick Reply: Need Help with OEM Alarm