drivers pw switch died w/alternator??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drivers pw switch died w/alternator??

This is for my '97 F150 XLT 4x4 (4.6, reg cab 8' bed, 92800 miles).

I was on the highway yesterday and all was totally normal until my radio volume went down rather rapidly. In the time it took to look at the radio (to see if it was still on - which it was), turn it on and off then change stations, I had lost all electrical power to the truck (the entire gage cluster was dead, no turn signals, etc.).

Thinking I had lost my alternator belt, I got off of the next exit (about 2 miles). By the time I reached the light at the base of the exit she was sputtering when I have her gas...I pulled into a commuter lot and popped the hood, expecting to see the no accessory belt - but it was still there. OK, so I've either got a bad voltage regulator or alternator was my thought...hmm, 15 miles from home and running on my battery. When I got back to the drivers door of the truck, my window was down (and I didn't put it down), so this is weird occurance #1.

The rest of the story is that I turned for home but didn't make it another 200 yards, she died in the middle of the next intersection. As luck would have it the flashers still worked a little, so I raised the hood and started to dial 911 fora local PD to assist in the upcoming traffic mess I had just created. No sooner had I dialed when a police car came up behind me and had the traffic situation well in hand. He asked what was wrong and then dispatched a tow truck.

The tow arrived in 5 minutes and took me straight home (so things were's so bad). I had called my local Acme Auto on the way and verified that he had an alternator (he had both the 95 and 130 in stock). An hour after that I had the new 95 amp alt in and reconected the battery - this is where it gets weird. The second I connected the negative on the battery, the driver side window went down (power window with an auto-down feature). This was weird occurance #2.

Today I went out with my dad for some errands. About 10 minutes into the ride my window let itself down, again all by itself. I put it up and all was qui lot and popped the hood, expecting to see the no accessory belt - but it was still there. OK, so I've either got a bad voltage regulator or alternator was my thought...hmm, 15 miles from home and running on my battery. When I got back to the drivers door of the truck, my window was down (and I didn't put it down), so this is weird occurance #1.

The rest of the story is that I turned for home but didn't make it another 200 yards, she died in the middle of the next intersection. As luck would have it the flashers still worked a little, so I raised the hood and started to dial 911 fora local PD to assist in the upcoming traffic mess I had just created. No sooner had I dialed when a police car came up behind me and had the traffic situation well in hand. He asked what was wrong and then dispatched a tow truck.

The tow arrived in 5 minutes and took me straight home (so things were's so bad). I had called my local Acme Auto on the way and verified that he had an alternator (he had both the 95 and 130 in stock). An hour after that I had the new 95 amp alt in and reconected the battery - this is where it gets weird. The second I connected the negative on the battery, the driver side window went down (power window with an auto-down feature). This was weird occurance #2.

Today I went out with my dad for some errands. About 10 minutes into the ride my window let itself down, again all by itself. I put it up and all was quiet. We stopped for about an hour and when I got back in the truck and tried to crack the window (it was a balmy 35* here today) the switch wouldn't respond.

I do not beleive in coincidence and think everything happens with direct cause and effect, and think that something about the alternator failure hosed something down the line (a computer module is my guess). Since it worked fine (albiet a litle quirky) after I replaced the alternator I don't see a link to the new part or anything that I did/changed.

I have verified the relay and fuse situation and yes, the passenger window works fine (as do all other electrical circuits - wipers, mirrors, etc.).

Does anyone have any ideas? I guess the switch could have decided to go, or I could have a loose wire at the switch, etc., but I have NEVER had problem one with anything like this and the timing of the alternator giving out yesterday is just too close.

Many thanks in advance.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW - when I started the truck this morning (after more than 12 hours of down time), the driver's window worked as new.

I suspect that a software issue - if anyone can ever clarify I'd appreciate it. But it worked fine today. Go figure.

Quick Reply: drivers pw switch died w/alternator??