Got a question about my A/C F-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a question about my A/C F-150

My A/C started acting up about 6 months ago with just a small leak....it now has got to a big problem. I have had it checked out by 2 people who are in the A/C business and they can not find the leak. Maybe I'm just using the wrong people but I thought maybe someone might have some insight to where this leak may be. I know it would be a miracle for someone to be able to tell me exactly where the leak will be but I really just need to know of someway that I can find this leak for myself....I have seen the leak tester at AUTOZONE that you put in and check with a black light but no clue into how good it works.........I have had the condenser, evap. core, and compressor checked and all fittings and still nothing....any help will help me out a lot.....if I need to post this in a nother thread tell me which tab I should use....Thanks

Last edited by fajkus; 02-09-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Have any of these guys used a UV tracer dye? Usually, it's a can of dye that you put in w/the freon. The dye is reactive w/ UV (black light). Usually takes a couple of hours of continuous usage for the tracer dye to make it's way through the system and start marking it's territory (leak). If everything looks good under the hood (no dye), check the evaporator core condensate drain (the dripping water) to see if the dye is mixed w/ the water. If it is, chances are the evaporator core needs replacement. Small leaks can be almost impossible to find w/pressure tests. It's best left to the dyes.

Tony

Old 02-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Well I appreciate the help....I have been wanting to do the dye thing but just didn't know if it was worth it.....do you think that the dye from Autozone that is about the same thing....I read it and it said you put it in there and use a blacklight to find the leak.....will this be as good as what a A/C shop would do...??

Old 02-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
You might want to look at it another way, should the dye test not work out.
R134 is cheap. I would draw a vacuum in the system and see what rate of leak you have.
Pulling a vacuum to at least 26 inches should hold at least 30 minutes in a good system.
If a leak shows then you need to make a decsion as to how to find it by individual parts testing.
It can become involved but if you are keeping the truck and want A/C bad enough, this has to be done in some manner to solve the problem.
It's hard to believe that an A/C shp can't find the leak.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by fajkus
Well I appreciate the help....I have been wanting to do the dye thing but just didn't know if it was worth it.....do you think that the dye from Autozone that is about the same thing....I read it and it said you put it in there and use a blacklight to find the leak.....will this be as good as what a A/C shop would do...??
The AC shop should know how to do a dye test and they should have all the equipment to do it...if not, find another SHOP!!!
I only proposed the dye option with the assumption that it was done by the AC shop you have referenced in the original post. If you haven't had it done, then go ahead and get one of the AC shops to do it for you. Hell even Pepboys knows how to do it. Let them tell you what the problem is (leak wise) and then you can decide whether you want to tackle the problem yourself.

I only suggested you let someone else do the dye test because I'm making the assumption that you don't have the black light source (flashlight) to do the job. It would be cheaper to let someone else do it UNLESS you can find someone that rents the black light out.

For what it's worth, the dye should be really easy to spot. Depending on the kind, it should be a bright florescent color (purple or hot pink come to mind.) Really easy to spot against black hoses and silver/aluminum colored parts.

Some shops like to use those freon "sniffers" that beep when it finds a freon source that's over a certain concentration PPM. Sometimes the sniffers won't work w/really small leaks. The dye is almost always a sure fire way, even for the small leaks.

Tony

Last edited by TonyPTX; 02-09-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Your truck comes from the factory with dye in it. Have it checked with a UV light. Pay close attention to the front of the compressor.

Quick Reply: Got a question about my A/C F-150