Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Driving Lights

I own a 1997 F-150 4x4, trying to wire a set of driving lights on the truck , previous to owning this I had a 1996 sierra 1500 , put driving lights on this didn't have any trouble . Tried wiring the FORD the same way but all I did was burn out the relay ,after a lot of trouble of finding a live wire from the ignition .
The way I had the lights wired was with a three way switch

Position 1.Driving Lights always on with low or high beam.

Position 2. Driving Lights only come on with High Beam.

Position 3. Driving Lights off altogether.

If anyone can help me with this it would be appreciated.
P.S. Contacted Dealer they said if they are wired incorrectly could burn out harness a lot of $$$$$$$$$$'s.

HELP

Old 03-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
What is your preferred scheme?
There are ways of doing it depending on how you want them to work.
I have extra side marker/turn signals and extra Yellow Fog lamps in addition to the lower running lights.
Relays do the thrick. They are operated from the original feeds.
The only switch I have is a rocker mounted in the fuse cover, that switches between the Running and Fogs when the headlites are on low beams.
Many use running lights with high beam but it is really not legal to do so. That's why no company wires them to work low beam only, here in US..

Old 03-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Re: Driving Lights

Originally posted by Scotty-1
I own a 1997 F-150 4x4, trying to wire a set of driving lights on the truck , previous to owning this I had a 1996 sierra 1500 , put driving lights on this didn't have any trouble . Tried wiring the FORD the same way but all I did was burn out the relay ,after a lot of trouble of finding a live wire from the ignition .
The way I had the lights wired was with a three way switch

Position 1.Driving Lights always on with low or high beam.

Position 2. Driving Lights only come on with High Beam.

Position 3. Driving Lights off altogether.

If anyone can help me with this it would be appreciated.
P.S. Contacted Dealer they said if they are wired incorrectly could burn out harness a lot of $$$$$$$$$$'s.

HELP
Live wire from your ignition?? OK.
Have the signal wires from the light circuits run to the switch, hook your feed wires from the switch to a relay that is wired hot from the battery. Use anything from solid 28AWG to 16 GA multi-strand for the signal and feed wires, and 18 to 10 GA (depending on amp draw) from the lights for the battery hookup.

SL

Old 03-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Bluegrass thanks, but in Newfoundland canada it is not illegal to run driving lights with high beams I have been running driving lights with my high beams on rhe last two vehicles I have owned with no problems , I even lit up a police cruiser one night because he flashed his high beams at me without a second look from him.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:17 PM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
I hear ya Scotty. Not legal here. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Driving Lights