Using keyless entry while truck is running

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using keyless entry while truck is running

I recently installed the wireless keypad on my 2000 F150. I bought it to avoid locking my two small children in the vehicle while i situated each in their car seat.

I did a test this morning. I locked the truck while it was running and was unable to unlock it using the wireless keypad. My second keyfob would not unlock the doors either. The only way to open the truck was to use the second key.

This is of little consolation to me as I was hoping to be able to open the truck if I ever locked my keys inside, whether running or not.

Is there a way to override this "safety" feature. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:54 AM
I ran into this at one time with a 01 Excursion,I locked it and the remote didn't open it backup with it runing.I didn't have the code for the key pad.My wifes Envoy can be opened with the fob with it running and a 01 chev I had you could pop the locks going down the road.Some how Ford diabled the the fob while it is running,I did a check after and if it has a key pad the fob will not work.I have a remote start on mine so I can leave it running if I want too.I had a 99 Windstar van and could use fob with it running,but the newer ones they changed something on the useing the fob while running.But the wireless key pad is like having a fob only its on the truck door.Call up the techs and find out if there's away round this,on the wired key pads they lock and unlock if the vel is running.Maybe somone has some more input on this for you.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:04 AM
I ran into the same problem here. I bought my truck used with OEM keyfob and Keyless entry(Hardwired). The previous owner had a Remote Starter installed. So if I started the truck with the doors locked, I had to stop the truck with the aftermarket remote in order to Unlock the doors with the OEM remote. However the Keypad still worked.

So I had the additional relay put in so that the aftermarket remote that Started the truck can also now open the doors even with it running. Also, that damn blue LED on the front of the rearview mirror dosen't blink anymore when I drive, if I unlock the doors with the Aftermarket Remote.

I also have 2 kids in Car seats and found that the Autolock feature was EXTREEEEMMMMMELY anoying. Especialy when I went around to the Passenger side to get the kid out only to find the door locked, and had to walk all the way.... anyway, you get the picture.

Dpostman

BTW, is there another word that means more than "Extremely", well it anoyed me that much.

Old 03-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This will help with the Auto Locks
2000 Ford Owners Manual p.85
Deactivating/Activating the autolock feature
Before following the procedure make sure that the ignition is OFF and all vehicle doors and the liftgate window are closed.

You must complete step 1-7 with in 30 seconds or the procedure will have to be repeated. If the procedure needs to be repeated, you must wait 30 seconds.
  1. Turn the ignition key to on
  2. Press the power door unlock control three times
  3. Turn the ignition key from on to off
  4. Press the power door unlock control three times
  5. Turn the ignition key back to on. The horn will chirp
  6. Press the unlock control, then press the lock control. The horn will chirp once if autolock was deactivated or twice (one short and one long chirp) if autolock was activated.
  7. Turn the ignition to OFF. The horn will chirp once to confirm the procedure is complete.
To print these instructions
  1. Highlight the text
  2. Right click
  3. Select print
  4. When print box appers select option to print selection
  5. Click OK

Last edited by PSS-Mag; 03-12-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Its a Ford thing.

Wireless transmitters do not work when the ignition is running. In my opinion, this renders that neato wireless keypad useless.

The hard-wired keypads work at all times thus allowing you to rescue your keys if the vehicle is running or leave it running for power while you do something in the bed or nearby but locking the doors for security.

To my knowledge, there is no way to make the transmitters work while the engine is running.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:57 AM
As stated in my post earlier, Aftermaket remotes work fine, even if the enging is running. It's just the Ford key fobs that don't.

Old 03-18-2005, 12:09 PM
So is there a relay we can buy and add to make the OEM work with it running?

Old 03-18-2005, 10:53 PM
Ford must have corrected this on the later models. My 03' allows me to use the OEM keyfob and keypad while the engine is running.

Old 03-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a thaught Aftter looking at the wiring diagrams try removing the 7.5 amp fuse in the inside fuse box fuse number 20 in the box this is the only keyed source of power going to that module I don't know if it will have any other effects or not, the only thing may happen if you use the anoying feature the doors may not automatacally lock when you start moving. give it a try nothing to loose and let us know what hapens.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is also a possability depending on build dates etc the fuse may be a 5 amp fuse number 29 If the system works with the fuse removed depending on level of accessories the fuse may affect other systems but if removing fuse on or the other does allow system to work with key fob you will have to go directly to the module located under the dash above the e brake area accsess the module and remove the switched power leed directly from the module and then re install fuse. I believ it is pin 25 or26 depending on build but you can check with a test light it will be the only wire that will energise with the ignition turned on .

Old 03-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I just noticed that today. My last truck did not have the keypad. I used to take the key fob off the key ring when I stopped at a gas station in the morning and leave it running. I made sure I locked it with the key fob to assure myself I could unlock it when I returned.

No with the keypad, and use it to lock the doors, and unlock them when I return. With the engine running the key fob is with the keys in the truck.

Today my keyfob batter was weak, so I replaced it. I went into the store and left my wife in the truck with the engine and heater running. I put the new battery in the fob, clamped it shut, but could not open the doors. For a second I questioned the battery, then I just figured it would not work with the engine running, but reading this remined me that I did use the fob for my last truck with the engine running.

Old 03-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Keypad on door should work while vehicle is running - this is my favorite option of this truck.

I have never had the keyless remote work while the key was in the ignition.

Old 03-20-2005, 08:29 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by LightningCrew
Keypad on door should work while vehicle is running - this is my favorite option of this truck.
Here here, I've really come to appreciate the keypad. I use it to lock the doors when I get out because it is faster than the FOB. I also like the fact that I'll never be locked out. If I'm shopping with my wife, and she returns to the truck before I do she can get in and wait there for me.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by LightningCrew
Ours do but the ones at issue are the new add-on ones from FoMoCo. They act like a Keyless entry fob and transmit to the GEM just like the keyfob. Snce keyfobs don't work with the engine running, the wireless keypad doesn't either.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:13 AM
How can I get the KeyFob to? My wifes 96 Explorer Does... We have the KeyFobs on break away key chains and we often leave it running in the sotre parking lots with heater or A/C on and lock the door taking the KeyFob with us. However when I first did this with my truck... Not so well... I ended up having to break in and crawl threw the sliding backglass...

Quick Reply: Using keyless entry while truck is running