12 volt Power supply

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005 | 11:47 PM
Thanx for all your help. I still have a few questions though as I am new to electrical systems.

The actual fuse itself does not have a hot and cold, it is where the fuse goes into that has hot and cold right? or wrong?

Because in my truck, the fuses are not all going the same way (some have the amp rating facing up and some are facing down)

And one more thing, i had a stereo shop install a deck for me. I just noticed on my radio fuse, that there is what looks like a tap coming off of it. But there is no wire attached to it. It is just a metal thing coming out from underneath the fuse. What is that?

Thanks again.

Old 04-07-2005 | 12:02 AM
From: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
No problem ask as much as you want and I will try to answer the best that I can, "if I can".

You are correct... A fuse can be used in any direction, it is just the plug in slot (AKA fuse slot) that has a power side and a non power side. Your fuse is just a piece of wire that can be unplugged. When you plug it in then it transfers the power from the hot side to the other and rest of the circuit. With it taken out, or blown then it is just like cutting a wire. The second part of the wire can no longer get power.

With a good fuse in then both sides have power, but if it blows then only the source side will have power. Because the wire (AKA fuse) between the two sides has burnt in two.

For the second question.
That sounds like it could be a fuse tap.

Old 04-07-2005 | 12:05 AM
Ok, I figured that it was a fuse tap, but is it serving any purpose? Because there is no wire connected to it. You would be able to see the wire coming out of the front right?

Old 04-07-2005 | 12:24 AM
Once again you are correct. If it were being used then you would barely see it. All you would see or all it would look like would be a wire coming out of the fuse.

Old 04-07-2005 | 06:12 PM
Do you think I should take it out? Or is it fine if it stays in there?

Old 04-07-2005 | 06:15 PM
It's fine unless it bothers you for some reason... I'd just leave it if it were me.

Quick Reply: 12 volt Power supply