Burning smell and door chime

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005 | 02:23 PM
|
Burning smell and door chime

The other night I was driving home, (FYI in the rain) and I started to hear what sounded like my door chime beeping. It usually did it three or so times then quit for 30 seconds or so then came back. As I continued to drive I started to smell an odor that smelled like burning rubber. Since then it has stopped raining and the truck hasnt done it since. Any answers to this one? I suspect that the rain caused it to ground out somewhere but I have no idea where to start looking, plus the idea of something burning doesnt sit with me too well! Thanks in advance!

Old 04-13-2005 | 08:25 PM
I had an '85 F250; the horn would go off when I drove in the rain. I didn't connect rain, 12V, and the horn so I pulled the plug on the horn. 1 year later when I replaced the battery I found wiring had shorted and melted below the battery.

A short story made long - I would start looking for water intrusion in all electrical connectors under the hood, under the dash (doesn't the cowl/vent in front of the windshield drain somewhere but is close to the cabin) or, the bottom line: if under warranty, take it to the dealer.

Sorry I was soooooo looooonnnnngggg winded. Please let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Burning smell and door chime