12 volt power plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 volt power plug

I want to change my 12volt power plug so that it is not 12 V all the time. I want it to turn on with the key. Does any one know what wire that come from the key is hot when in accessories and on position. I have a GPS That I plug into the power point and I want it to come on when I start and shut off when I turn off the engine. I found a wire that is hot when on and cold when off but after the delay lights go off it will not restart the GPS. Help""

Old 04-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
I don't know if I can be very helpfull to you unless you have some expertise with circuits.
Ford has not made it very easy to break into and alter wiring.
However, there is a way to get what you want by putting togather a fuse tap assembly that would plug into your inside fuse panel at the right fuse location as determined from your owners manuel fuse list.
It would be a fuse listed for such use as the fuel pump, fuel injectors etc., that would be powered when the ignition is on.
I don't know if your 04 layout is the same as an 02.
To make a fuse tap, get one from the auto store ( they don't make one for the real small fuses). Take a small fuse apart and solder the blades on to the larger tap assembly at the right spacing.
This allows your original fuse to be used on it's original circuit and the new fuse to power what you want, within current ratings and fuse sizes, of couse.
This is how to do it if you can do the work.
I just recently made two assemblies to power electric gauges and their nite lights.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:26 PM
12 v power Point

Thanks for the Info. The GPS works fine in my wifes Lexus. I checked the power point in the Lexus and found after turning off the key the reading on the power point is.3 volts. I believe this is necessary for a smal voltage draw to keep the switch in the GPS from shutting off. On my Ford truck I found some wires would hold .3 to .5 volts for 20 seconds and then drop to 0 volts. I will keep trying .

Old 04-16-2005, 09:38 PM
How about the radio power supply,on my 03 it gos off and on with the key.It should have the right amps for a GPS.Back in the earlier years of vels they had taps in the fuse block that stayed on or only got power when you turned the key on.With the new vels they have done away with that.I read on a form here about putting in a relay to shut power to something if you didn't want it on all the time.Good luck on your project .

Quick Reply: 12 volt power plug