In-Line Fuse with Tap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In-Line Fuse with Tap?

Looking for advice...

I've hard wired my radar detector to the fuse panel. Tapped the radio fuse on the "protected" side.

Do I need an in-line fuse to the radar detector with the way I have it set up?

Thanks.

05FKR

Old 05-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts
Yes.

The RD would require its own fuse, probably between 1 and 3 amps. The tapped circuit is likely anywhere from 5 to 15 amps.

Steve

Old 05-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with SHO.
If the radio fuse is 5 to 15 amps,, the danger you run into is if an electronic component, like a diode or a transistor, inside the radar detector were to short out , you can run the risk of overheating the detector and causing a possible risk of the detector itself catching on fire or starting to smoke.
Its a remote possibility, but it could happen. That said, I have had mine hardwired into the maplight on my Mustang for 17 years. Shame on me ,, LOL

Old 05-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks guys...

Old 05-04-2005, 01:20 AM
'protected' side?

uh... what?

I think this is my next little project, I hate the cord mine has now.

I was going to tap the power point fuse, to which my CB radio is already wired, do I need to find a different fuse? Can I wire straight to battery?

Thanks

Old 05-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The protected side of the fuse he refers to is the load side of the fuse socket.

One side of the fuse is the 12V source the other side is the load..

If the load pulls too much current then the fuse "blows" thus separating the 12v source from the load.

Actually current flows from the load side to the source side in a car,, unless it an old positive ground volvo. A fuse doesnt care which way its going. Now if you reference hole flow then it goes the other way. Never mind.

You can tap your detector in anywhere you want, battery , powerpoint etc. As long as you also install an inline fuse to the detector. Position the fuse holder as close to the tapped source as you can.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:37 PM
I can't be of much help but I would say that you need to find a different fuse for your radar detector.

And, "bryanfeelsgood" I noticed in your sig that you have a Cobra 18WXSTII CB and a PA system. I am looking at buying an 18WXSTII and I was sure that it did not have PA capabilities. How do you have yours set up?

Old 05-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the input. Just to clarify - the reason I chose the "load/protected" side of the fuse I chose is so the RD turns on/off with the ignition (and delay with the radio).

The RD draws so little amps (1 to 2) that there's no real chance of smoking the fuse.

I will, however, take your advice and put an inline fuse between the RD and the tap.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by bryanfeelsgood
'protected' side?

uh... what?
On my 2005 KR, the "protected" side is on the left side of the fuse. The best way to determine the "hot" side is to pull the fuse and meter each side with the ignition off.

If you select a fuse for an accessory that only comes on with the ignition, you get "auto off" for whatever you are adding - in my case, the radar detector.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:23 AM
Steve,

I have the 18 WX ST II, which I really like, but one thing that I decided I wanted after I got that particular CB was a PA system, so I picked up a used 19 DX II off eBay for about $20, mounted it unded the driver's seat with a switch mounted inside the seat mounting bracket under the middle seat...(if that makes any sense).

So, the 19 DX II switches on, and the mic lies just to my right.

Unfortunately, when I was wiring it origianlly I only had red wire (uh oh), and I moved it last weekend while I was down at school, and I crossed the wires... I know... I know...

Anyway, plently of smoke and smell later I have a fried CB, and no PA system... kind of makes me want to cry...

My next move is to sell/trade the 18 WX ST II for a 19 DX III... any takers?

Old 05-09-2005, 05:43 PM
That sucks that you fried your radio.

I'm not sure I understand. You connected the positive wire to a ground wire because they were not color coded? And what was the switch under the seat for?

And how much would you want for your radio?

Last edited by steve_m30; 05-09-2005 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: In-Line Fuse with Tap?