dead short

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking dead short

Monday morning after cranking up my 97 F150, It would not shift out of park and noticed antilock brake light was on .Upon further investigation I found 1 blown fuse 15 amp,for antilock brakes , second one from the top middle row which blows immediately. I disconnected the brake light switch still nothing.I traced the wires from the switch to the main harness no bad wire. I disconnected the plug for brakes at the rear end and at master cylinder it still blows the fuse. I have no brake lights and no more ideas .I know the brake light switch and the locked shifter are related but what about the antilock brakes, its a mystery.Please Help ! Saturday morning unpluged the multi function switch , then replaced the fuse and it didnt blow, so off to the dealer, came home inatalled new switch and fuse which held. I have brake lights , shifter unlocks and ABS light is off. Problem Solved ! thanks for the help. Ratrodder A week goes by everythings fine till...... I went to pull my truck in the drive when shifter wont come out of park ,ABS lights on , and blown fuses . Back to scratching my head! Ratrodder

Last edited by ratrodder; 05-28-2005 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Its BACK!!!!
Old 05-19-2005, 12:26 AM
Thumbs down Same problem but on a 1998

Local dealership suggested replacing the multi function switch ( turn signal lever and hazard light button). This corrected another problem but not the brake light and coming out of park.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Same problem on a '97!

Nice little club we're starting here. Mine went a couple weeks ago, replaced the brake light switch, rear brake lights, played around with the trailer wires, disconnected the high lamp and got it working again. Until a couple of days ago. Now I'm currently spending my Saturday unplugging one thing at a time to see if it fixes the problem. Nothing yet, but I'll keep you posted. Onto my ABS system, I guess.

[Edit]
Went back out to my truck, under the hood this time. Noticed that the brake pressure sensor was a bit oily, and the two wires looked a little kinked. Unplugged it, plugged in a fuse, and for the first time in a couple days, it didn't blow immediately! Started the truck, I have brake lights, the brake shift interlock works properly, and still no blown fuse. I'll change the sensor and report back.

Last edited by r_outsider; 05-21-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:52 PM
r outsider
If that is the cruise control switch on the master cylinder, then that is on recal and you will have a hard time finding one.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by lees99f150
r outsider
If that is the cruise control switch on the master cylinder, then that is on recal and you will have a hard time finding one.

That's the one. Not much I can do until Tuesday now, so I guess we'll see about the switch and pigtail then. At least my truck has brake lights for now!

Quick Reply: dead short