Anyone else use speaker wire for lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005 | 02:17 PM
|
Anyone else use speaker wire for lights?

I've been using speaker wire to power my lights for years, anyone else? I just wonder if there is something wrong with this or if its limiting the electricity flow, etc.... right now I have 16-18 gauge wiring installed and I am planning on upgrading to 12 gauge speaker wire all around to provide for more currently. I know I've also used regular hookup wire in the process, but didn't notice a significant difference... any words of wisdom from any electrical gurus?

Old 06-07-2005 | 03:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The gauge is the #1 item. As long as you have large enough wire for the AMPs being drawn, the size is good.

The next thing on the list ( which could cause problems with age ) is the insulation.

The insulation of speaker wire is usually not gas and oil resistant, and might not have the correct temp rating of auto wire ( 105* C vs 90* C for residential wire with THHN insulation ).

Take a look at the insulation markings ( if any ) and let us know what they are.

Quick amp rates :
10 AWG : 35 AMP
12 AWG : 25 AMP
14 AWG : 20 AMP

These are based upon the Square D motor data calculator, using the NEC code as a basis, with the following guide lines :
30* C ambient operating temp ( not high enough if it is run anywhere in auto application ).
Using THHN 90* C rated wire. ( which is oil and gas resistant insulation, rated to 600 Volts ).
Using basic wrie lengths, gets derated after 100' of distance ( not a problem, unless you are REALLY bad at routing wire ).

The conversion I use for Auto ( using auto wire with 105* C rate ).
10 AWG : 30 AMP
12 AWG : 20 AMP
14 AWG : 15 AMP
16 AWG : 10 AMP

The load on a circuit should be 80% of the fuse and wire capacity.
Examples :
- Max 16 AMP load on a 12 AWG wire and a 20 AMP fuse.
- Max 12 AMP load on a 14 AWG wire and a 15 AMP fuse.

In general running a load near max of the circuit can cause problems later, that you don't want to fix with a chewing gum wrapper around the fuse.

Sure others with offer up a bit of advice, but in summary, I would say start using wire with the correct temp rate and insulation spec that auto is going to need.
The hotter the ambient temp gets, the less the capacity of the wire is. If you have 14 AWG speaker wire at 95* C the AMP capacity of the wire might be more like 8 or 10 AMPs versus 15 or 20 AMPs, which can be a problem if the load is 9.9 AMPs and used for hours upon hours of driving ( like dirving lamps ).
The insulation specification is more so for the insulation staying in good usable condition, if it can't take oil, it could get britle and crack, this is what I was getting at with age of the wire.

Old 06-08-2005 | 10:03 AM
As sscully said, automotive wire is different than household wire, including speaker wires.

One other item I would point out is that most automotive wire has a higher strand count than household wire.

This enables it to handle the vibration found in an automotive application better than a lower strand count wire. It also helps to make the wire more flexible, which can aid in the routing of the wire through the truck's innards.

BTW - Good to see you here, Steve. I haven't seen you post in a while...

Old 06-10-2005 | 10:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Thanks for pointing out the higher strand count, I forgot that one.
Like SO vs SOJV cord, same AWG, higher strand count, more flexability, and actually a smaller cord.
Looking at Auto wire, you would think it is 18 or 20AWG, but the higher strand count gets the same size wire in a smaller package. Some of the Monster speaker wire has the high strand count, but ever thing else wrong with it.

I've been lurking around here, and there, work is busy as heck at the past 2 places, so that has quite a bit of my time as of late. Flew over 100K miles the past 2 years straight, and heading there quick again this year, with 60K done as of the end of MAY. Kind of hard to post replies from an airplane seat .

Quick Reply: Anyone else use speaker wire for lights?