Ignition key not moving

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition key not moving

I have a '99 F-150 Lariat with 62K miles. With no prior symptoms, I can not turn the ignition key. I have read other posts, however have not found this specific issue.

I can place the key in the ignition, and the door open chimes, at the appropriate time. However, I cannot rotate the key in either direction. I have tried moving the steering wheel and turning the key, no change.

It seems as though it may be the key cylinder, however, I cannot put it in the 'run' location in order to extract the cylinder.

Is there another way to remove the lock cylinder (assuming that this is the issue)? Would I need to remove the steering wheel to do so (after disconnecting the battery)?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Had same thing on my 92- sudden failure. Had a mobile lock guy replace the ign. switch for $60. It's worth it to let them do it. Fairly common for Fords to go out in a few years.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Laneman,
You indirectly gave me the answer. I called a couple mobile locksmiths, two of them referred me to the same third guy, who quoted me $125 to fix it and could be out in 1.5 hours. He had suggested that I first try some WD-40, and explained that this could fix it for an hour, day, week, year or years, however I would eventually need to replace it. The fourth locksmith quoted me 'at least $300' as they'd need to replace the program module and reprogram the keys.

I tried the WD-40, at first it didn't work, I called the $125 guy and made an appointment, then went out to put the truck back together from my troubleshooting. I tried it one last time before I locked it up, and the key turned and everything worked.

I'm debating on keeping my appt. with the mobile locksmith as this forum and others indicate that the ignition key cylinders on Fords are problematic.

Thanks you for your help.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Ignition Switches

Yeah, Ford has a problem with this issue for sure. Definately get that changed. Not knocking Ford by any means, I am a stone cold Ford man. But, this is a particular problem Ford has. But think of it this way. While Ford only has small problems that will nickle and dime us to death. It could have been a Chevy, where who knows what the wallet burning problem might be. Or a Mopar product where then you will have a transmission problem. I think I'll stay with being nickle and dimed.

T

Quick Reply: Ignition key not moving