weird happenings w/ gauges, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:40 AM
dmp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
weird happenings w/ gauges, etc...

2k2 SCrew 5.4l 4x4...

Yesterday, when going to start the truck, there was nothing more than a 'click-click' after turning the key. Dead battery. Lame. Nothing was left 'on' over night - but I did lock, and unlock the doors, etc, quite a bit the night before, as we had friends over who hadn't seen the truck.

I jump-start the truck - everything's fine. Later in the day, I move the truck from our back yard, to our front driveway...I shut the truck off. 10 minutes later, I get back in the truck and turn the key - the gauges sweep from their '0' positions, to the FAR RIGHT - tach and speedo. Then back to 0. I turn the key, to start the truck, and it BARELY turns over...but it fires and starts.

That's it. Nothing more.

Any ideas? The battery posts seem clean and wires are tight. Battery 'looks' brand new...but I'm unsure of it's age. Is the whole 'needles sweeping' thing battery related?

Thoughts?

- thanks in advance.

darin

Old 06-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Did you run the engine long enough to restore the charge in the battery?
I does take some time when the battery is deep discharged. The battery in these trucks are not all that high on capacity and no larger than the factory can reasonably get away with.
When the battery is discharging, lead from the plates is being disolved into the solution. To charge the battery, this action has to be reversed and takes time to happen and not just a jump start.
Also a battery that has been discharged almost flat will do funny things to the systems in the truck such as the alarm, auto locking etc., so leave a window down and/or have your other key handy.
Been there already and learned the above.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:50 PM
dmp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Did you run the engine long enough to restore the charge in the battery?
I does take some time when the battery is deep discharged. The battery in these trucks are not all that high on capacity and no larger than the factory can reasonably get away with.
When the battery is discharging, lead from the plates is being disolved into the solution. To charge the battery, this action has to be reversed and takes time to happen and not just a jump start.
Also a battery that has been discharged almost flat will do funny things to the systems in the truck such as the alarm, auto locking etc., so leave a window down and/or have your other key handy.
Been there already and learned the above.

Thanks! Yeah - I ran the truck about 20 minutes after the jump-start; with no uneccessary load on the electrical system.

Quick Reply: weird happenings w/ gauges, etc...