Remote starter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005 | 07:33 PM
|
Remote starter?

last month i put a remote starter in my '99 Lariat Scab. it's a Python (DEI) 1400XP system. for the first two weeks it worked fine. now all of a sudden, it will not remote start. i look in the truck, and the theft light is flashing while it is trying to engage. the starter engages, but the engine will not turn over. any ideas? thanks for the help.

Old 06-27-2005 | 05:30 PM
try remote starting it with the key in the ign. (in the OFF position).

Report back.

Matt

Old 07-01-2005 | 01:03 PM
|
key

I tried what you said, and it still will not start with the key in the OFF position. Thanks for the advice, any other suggestions?

Old 07-01-2005 | 04:31 PM
I have the Viper 791 that should be very similar to your Python, and it was doing the same thing your is. My remote says that it is running, but it wasn't, then of course, i get in using the key because the system is "locked" on trying to start, and tehn the alarms goes off after a while when I'm driving. I went back to my installer. They said the brains were fried, and they replaced the brains, antenna, PATS, and Remote. It was still messing up, but it seems to be straightening itself out now.

Go back to your installer, or whoever you purchased it from and see about getting it warrantied.

Old 07-01-2005 | 11:33 PM
most anti theft kits have a seperate box you need for the pats system. on my 2000 f-150 there was a boxed that you have to have a spare key in and the thing read the key as your ign would. that allowed u to by pass the system. the cool thing was you still couldnt just start the truck with out ur ign key cuz the seperate box with the spare key was tied in to the remote starter/alarm and would only read the spare key when u pushed the button.

Old 07-02-2005 | 12:26 AM
Well, I am not sure...The flashing "theft" light usually indicates a problem with the PATS bypass, but if it still did not start with the OEM key in range of the ignition cylinder, then I'm not sure what's going on. Unless they did the old-school bypass, and took the chip out of the key that you used, and permenantly glued it inside the column...if this is the case, and it is not working, AND you used the key that they removed the chip from, that might put you in this situation, because you still were not showing the truck an authorized code...but then you wouldn't be able to start it at all...hmmmm...

Does the engine turn over and just not fire? Or does it not turn over at all? Does it start fine with the key?

Can you get to quick stop mode (or whatever DEI calls it when you can hit the start button while the truck is already running, and the remote starter takes control of the ignition and keeps the truck running so you can lock it up and run in and grab coffee...)

Need more info...

Matt

P.S. Most DEI dealers a fairly reputable, and don't want bad publicity, so if it is convenient, take it back, and let them make it right for you...

Old 07-03-2005 | 02:05 AM
It's not always the alarm that's not working. Check the starter itself. Down on the starter itself is a solenoid with 1 small and 2 big bolts holding wires. Get a big insulated screwdriver and jump it across the small and 1 of the big bolts and then the small and the other big bolt. One big bolt will make the starter just spin and the other will kick in the bendex and the starter will turn the engine. If both just spin the starter or nothing at all you just won a chance to buy a new $175 gizmo. Good Luck.
OOOH :o I missed the fact that it does start, just not the remote. Well I got the "Good Luck" part right.

Last edited by fasterhorses; 07-03-2005 at 02:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Remote starter?