Question about grounding.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about grounding.

Just a quick question as to where I should ground my new CB. I was told that a good place to ground it is inside that panel by the E-Brake there is a green bolt that people usually use for car alarms. My question is though, if there are already other things grounded there, is it alright to ground the cb there? And what would happen if the CB wasn't properly grounded?

Thanks alot.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by steve_m30
Just a quick question as to where I should ground my new CB. I was told that a good place to ground it is inside that panel by the E-Brake there is a green bolt that people usually use for car alarms. My question is though, if there are already other things grounded there, is it alright to ground the cb there? And what would happen if the CB wasn't properly grounded?

Thanks alot.
People still use CB's???? You can still buy 'um??
If you are going to mount it, more than likely you will have to hit some chassis metal somewhere anyway, and it will be grounded. You're going to have to pick-up +12 volts somewhere, so looking for GROUND shouldn't be that hard. The more things that you can tie to a common point, the better off you are.... It prevents "ground loops", which I won't try to explain, but you don't want them. If not properly grounded, the worst that will happen is that the radio won't work.... your audio may have lots of static etc.

If, on the other hand, you are only gonna use it on trips and you're just going to sit it on the floor or on the seat, hook it up with a cigarette lighter plug and forget it. Just be sure you pay attention to battery polarity, because the battery always wins.

More important than any of that crap though, is the antenna, but that's not the topic at the moment.

Know what I mean, Good Buddy.

What started this anyway.... Did you see "Smokey and the Bandit" over the week-end? It was on you know...

Old 06-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Haha, lots of people still use CB's. I think every semi on the road has one. Anyways, you are saying that if it is not properly grounded, its not like i am going to wreck anything right? And the more things grounded to one spot is good then.

Thanks alot for your help.

P.S, and no... it was the dukes of hazzard. lol

Quick Reply: Question about grounding.