Optima fitment question (harness width)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005 | 01:06 PM
|
Question Optima fitment question (harness width)

I was told I need a Optima Red Top 34/78 with Group 65 wing adapter for it to fit no problem. ($109 + tax) Thing is, the factory battery is just a hair over 11" wide with 9" on center between posts. The Optima is 10" wide and I have no idea how far apart the posts are. By looking at my factory "harness", (plastic deal that runs between pos. and neg. terminals) it seems to be too wide to use on the Optima without modification or removal. I want to avoid this because I have several fuse terminals mounted to this piece. Did any of you have an issue with this? Solution? Pics? Thanks!!!

BTW, if it won't drop in and be sexy, I am looking at dropping $80 on the "upgraded" Motorcraft replacement. (750 cca) My battery is only 5 years old and is doing GREAT with the 1,500w amp, but I am installing pulleys and e-fans and have to remove the battery anyway to do the install, so I figured it would be a good idea to go ahead and replace it while it's out and will have the added draw...

Last edited by Jackal; 07-21-2005 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2005 | 02:10 PM
Hello Jackal,

I put an Optima battery in my truck and at first I used the little plastic "OPTIMA GROUP 34/78" adapters that came with the battery, big mistake. They do not hold up well when driving off-road if fact mine broke off and the battery started bouncing around in my engine compartment. Here is what I did:

1. Purchased a Billet Aluminum Optima Battery Hold Down from eBay. (see link below)
2. Removed stock plastic battery tray.
3. Drilled holes for billet hold down in the sheet metal base under the OEM battery tray.
4. Purchase 1 10" rubber tarp strap, remove the metal hooks, take the bolts the where used to hold in the stock plastic battery tray, and put them through the holes at the end of the straps, screw the bolts back into the original location where the held the stock plastic battery tray, stretch out and put the plastic box that was behind the stock plastic battery tray to hold in place.

[Stock OPTIMA GROUP 34/78 Adapter - "NOT RECOMMENDED"]
http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...nd_height.html

[eBay Motors search for "optima battery hold down"]
http://motors.search.ebay.com/optima...fsopZ1QQfsooZ1

[10" Rubber Tarp Straps]
http://www.acehardware.com/family/in...v_catlinks_txt

Old 07-22-2005 | 02:25 PM
|
Nice man!!! Unfortunately I don't have time for all that with everything else going on right now. Guess I'll go with the 850A Motorcraft. (750 was a typo) Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Optima fitment question (harness width)