Door ajar for tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door ajar for tailgate

Has anyone ever heard of or done a mod for a tailgate ajar setup???

Pulled out from the driveway and almost lost the tool box. One of the kids was in my box the night before and left the tailgate down. With the bed cover in place you can't see if the tailgate is open.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 PM
I've never heard of it, but that sounds like an excellent idea. I'd think you could purchase an identical door switch like what you have up front. It would have a rubber cover over the plunger, so it would stay protected (I think the F150s have a cover over it). You could find a place where it would be depressed the appropriate amount, mount it, and then wire it in parallel with one of your front door switches.

Come to think if it, wouldn't it activate the alarm system (if you truck is equipped) just like if someone tried to open your front doot? That way your bed would be protected....just a thought - I've not seen the wiring diagram, but that might be an interesting mod......Glen

Old 07-29-2005, 08:02 AM
I've got an old door lock from something ford (???) that has the plunger. It mounts in a diamond shapped hole and twists to lock in place.

I was also playing around with the idea of a mercury switch like what is used on the old trunk lights. I'd have to find one that isn't too sensitive, or it would trip if parked on a steep hill.

I'm playing around with a door lock solinoid for the tail gate, and maybe a back up cam as well since I hook and unhook a trailer quite regularly.

Depends on how much spare time I can get in between honney do projects.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Tailgate down warning? Gee. That'd be nice. After arriving at the airport after an 18 mile drive on the Interstate, I discovered that I made the whole trip with the gate down. If it wasn't for the rubber mat in the bed, my luggage would have been ... well, you know.

"Missed it by THAT much!"

Old 07-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Talking

You can find someone that can do it. I know someone that has a door ajar system in their tailgate. I don't know how he got it but he has it. He works in construction.

Last edited by ECG : Blindman; 07-29-2005 at 07:22 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 07-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Seems like I've seen something like it on other brands, not sure if it's factory or aftermarket.

Going to try and see if I can hook it into the factory setup like it was the back passanger door on a crew, I have the super cab. According to some searching on the web, there appears to be a code in the system for tailgate ajar associated with some boxes for the expidition, explorer, ect. Will have to see if there is any knd of input for it or a rear door for my unit. Will keep you guys updated when I get time to work on it.

BTW... how do I post pics?? I know I can do it in the gallery, I've seen a few in the postings but have yet to figure out how to attach them.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Well I stopped by the dealership and copied the wiring diagrams for the super / crew cabs. Since I have the super, it looks like I can use the unused connections for the rear doors for the tailgate lock and door ajar.

I have a rod type lock solinoid, I think the other guy that did this had an eye type, so it looks like I'll be diong some fabricating. Not sure on the door ajar yet. Either trying to adapt one from another lock or fabricte my own.

Then there's the back up camera..... It's hell when you're trying to make this all look and work factory instead of add on.

By the way, came across the add a key procedure when you don't have two keys! All they do is erase ALL the keys from the memory, then it takes the first two entered. Makes sense for the production line if you think about it. trying to keep locks and security modules together or having to program every one as it comes down the line.

Quick Reply: Door ajar for tailgate