Independent fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Independent fog lights

Ive searched the forum on how to mod my fog lamps but found nothing about what I want. My intention is to have my fog lights completely independent so if i choose to I can use only my fog lamps. A friend of mine owns a Mazda 3 and he did this.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:39 AM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Are you wanting to run Fogs alone without any park or head lites?
If so it's just a matter of a relay and a switch.
I have a tranfer relay that allows either the running lites or Fogs as long as the headlites are on low beam.
I have added side markers and turn siganl function to those lites at the front of the wheel wells when the parks/headlites are on. Reason is that without them side signals are hard to see by a car coming up along side the truck when towing and other times. This requires some trickery with minuture relays to get that dual action out of a single filiment bulb.

Old 08-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You simply need to cut the wire to the fog light relay coming out the back of the headlight switch, (RD/YE) then connect a switch to it powered from some other power source. (I recommend using a switched source to prevent inadvertently leaving the fogs on with the key off)

To do what you want to do, it's really that simple.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
You simply need to cut the wire to the fog light relay coming out the back of the headlight switch, (RD/YE) then connect a switch to it powered from some other power source. (I recommend using a switched source to prevent inadvertently leaving the fogs on with the key off)

To do what you want to do, it's really that simple.
This would work great, and utilize the factory relay, you will still have to ground the factory relay pin, or you will loose your fog lamps when the high beams are on.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by momalle1
This would work great, and utilize the factory relay, you will still have to ground the factory relay pin, or you will loose your fog lamps when the high beams are on.
Actually, you won't. The power feed for the fogs that causes the fogs to cut out with the high beams will already be bypassed if you make the proper connection at the back of the headlight switch. Power feeds from the fuse box to the main light switch, then up through the M/F switch, then BACK through the main light switch, then out to the fog light relay via the yellow wire.

and ignore the color I listed above. The wire you want behind the main light switch is the YELLOW wire, not whatever I mentioned before.

-Joe

Old 08-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Doesnt sound too difficult. Thank you all. Anyone know the color code for the ACC line in the steering column?

Old 08-02-2005, 12:30 PM
There's a whole mess of 'em:

RD/BK
BK/LG
DB/LG
RD/LB
GY/YE
LB/PK (but that's for the ABS so I wouldn't mess with it)

Don't know what they all feed, but they're all switched. I would look elsewhere personally. The relay is only going to draw about 0.2A, so any switched power source will suffice.

-Joe

Quick Reply: Independent fog lights