Power window motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005 | 10:47 PM
|
Power window motor

How hard is it to replace a window motor on a 1998 F-150 driver's side? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 08-03-2005 | 01:47 AM
After you remove the doorpanel and the liner, you can see 4 or so rivets that hold the regulator on the inside of the door. There are three screws that hold the motor to the regulator. If you look closely, you can see two divets in between the rivets. I drilled 1/2" holes where the divets were and 2 of the screws that hold the motor on are in there. The third you kind of have to guess. You can see what looks like a stud protruding from the motor ( just look at the other two and you will see what I mean). Just drill the third hole there and the last screw is there. Make sure that the window is down or block the track with some vise grips so the window doesn't fall and get your fingers.
It is really pretty easy to do. Good Luck !

Old 08-03-2005 | 07:19 PM
|
power window motor

Why do you think that Ford did not make acess holes to remove the screws that hold the motor in place? I guess Ford expects you to replace the regulator and motor as one unit, or remove the assembly to remove the motor. Thanks for information Landfill.

Old 08-03-2005 | 07:34 PM
Ford engineers never intended to replace the motor, and to this day they haven't replaced one. So why would they care about the poor guy that has to do the work.

Old 08-04-2005 | 12:58 PM
I guess that that was a real big problem with that year of truck. Several guys that I work with had the dealer replace the regulator back inside the warranty period. Does yours make a lot of noise when it operates ? Mine did but when I had it all apart, I greased it up and it is now a lot quieter but it is not smooth at all compared the the passenger side. So you are not alone in this one.

Old 08-04-2005 | 03:35 PM
|
Thanks again for the input.

Quick Reply: Power window motor