Theft system

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005 | 08:11 PM
|
Theft system

Is is possible to disable the "theft" system on my 2001 F150? I wan't to be able to start my truck with a non programmed key. How can this be done. I'm not willing to pay the stealership $80 just to program one key.

Old 09-29-2005 | 08:33 PM
Several easy solutions. Do you have two keys? If you do, just order a spare off of e-bay for about 15 bucks and program it yourself. I did that. One minute to program.
If you only have one key, you could easily have some non-chip keys made up, and then stash your key next to the 'antenna' for the anti theft device, in the column.
You could even break or grind the teeth off the chip key, and just put the head next to the antenna. Thus a thief wouldn't be able to find a ready key inside or under the column.

Or just pay the 80 bucks and keep your insurance discount that you should get for the passive system.
Chris

Old 09-29-2005 | 10:13 PM
|
Where is the anti theft device in the colum? What does it look like? I did purchase a key off of eBay, but I can't program because I only have 1 original key

Last edited by dungeoncustom; 09-29-2005 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2005 | 11:49 PM
Very near the keylock. I've only worked on a 2004, as I haven't owned Ford trucks in a few years... So the PATS system is kinda forign to me.
There are posts on it in this forum though, I've read them. You can do some simple tests though. Have the new key cut for the truck (bet you already have) then try it, with the old key at least a foot from the column. If it starts, your system doesn't work... If it doesn't, hold the key close to the column. That means an inch or so, or touching it. Near the bottom. If it now starts with the new key, you are in range. A couple minutes of trial and error and you will find the best place to put it.
Or perhaps someone that has opened the column on the 98 will chime in?
Chris

Old 09-30-2005 | 08:32 AM
In my 01 Mustang I had a cliffard alarm with a remote start and the installer said he needed my key so I gave it to him to install the alarm and then went to the dealer the next day and paid $140 to have another key made.(not happy) Well the alarm wasnt working right so I went back to the installer and they gave me back my key and wired it up a different way without the key and everything worked great. So you dont need a key for the alarm. Talk to the installer.

Old 10-03-2005 | 05:20 AM
There's differet ways though to "bypass" the PATS for an alarm. Either a bypass module that reiqures a key, or one that you program the code into. Or do the ghetto way and "glue" the chip (inside the key) next to the ignition.
Normally the problem with the keyed bypas is the antenna you wrap around the iginition. Needs to be placed well.

In your case, I would either buy a bypass module, stick your one key in that, and wire it up so it has power anytime the ignition is turned on. This way you could also put in a switch so that the switch would have to be on for the bypas to be turned on. Hide it somewhere as a way to "reinable" the PATS, and you could use a regular key to start it. Or do what others said and place the chip on the ignition.

Last edited by Aaron_T; 10-03-2005 at 05:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Theft system