Optima batteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006 | 04:42 PM
Suspended
Basically, for the guys in the car audio industry Optimas are GREAT because they are FULLY sealed and can be placed in unconventional locations (ie in the bed, in the truck, trunk, etc) and will be safe doing so. but for your normal starter battery, it really is not worth the added cost. I'm SURE if you calculate the cost ratio there are more economical choices out there that will give the same performance (just not as well sealed) for the average user just looking to replace the factory battery.

Old 05-15-2006 | 04:44 PM
I put an Optima battery in my truck and at first I used the little plastic "OPTIMA GROUP 34/78" adapters that came with the battery, big mistake. They do not hold up well when driving off-road if fact mine broke off and the battery started bouncing around in my engine compartment. Here is what I did:

1. Purchased a Billet Aluminum Optima Battery Hold Down from eBay. (see link below)
2. Removed stock plastic battery tray.
3. Drilled holes for billet hold down in the sheet metal base under the OEM battery tray.
4. Purchase 1 10" rubber tarp strap, remove the metal hooks, take the bolts the where used to hold in the stock plastic battery tray, and put them through the holes at the end of the straps, screw the bolts back into the original location where the held the stock plastic battery tray, stretch out and put the plastic box that was behind the stock plastic battery tray to hold in place.

[Stock OPTIMA GROUP 34/78 Adapter - "NOT RECOMMENDED"]
http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...nd_height.html

[eBay Motors search for "optima battery hold down"]
http://motors.search.ebay.com/optima...fsopZ1QQfsooZ1

[10" Rubber Tarp Straps]
http://www.acehardware.com/family/in...v_catlinks_txt

Last edited by rkjerue; 05-15-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2006 | 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Quackaddict
I have had a couple and will have some more. If you have a regular truck with a couple of simple not elec. heavy mods and there is nothing wrong with your battery I see no need to run out and buy an Optima your stock is fine. Autozone batteries on a truck used for a DD with no super elec mods are fine if you replace the stocker for whatever reason.

Now once I have my Winch, Off Road lights, Electric fans, and sound system I am going to upgrade because I have had such good luck with the Optima for supporting these type of mods etc.

Optima's are awsome if you need one they aren't for everyone and I think that is the only reason not to buy one is you simply don't need it.
Was this post directed at me?

My OEM battery is only 4 years old but there is a problem with the negative battery terminal corroding. The vent wells are not overfilled, I cleaned the battery last month, and even replaced the terminals and added treated battery washers. I popped the hood yesterday and the negative terminal is already corroded again. I can only assume there there is a minute crack or problem around that terminal area so I decided to just replace the battery and be done with it. The local Ford dealership wanted $85 for a Motorcraft BXT65-650 (750 & 850 same price as well) w/ 3 yr free swap (100 month total) which may have been a better buy in the long run.

Old 05-15-2006 | 05:50 PM
How do they hold up in the hot heat of Arizona ?

Old 05-15-2006 | 06:30 PM
SnowmaNick
Originally Posted by yamaha619
How do they hold up in the hot heat of Arizona ?
AZ my boy! I lived in Chandler (suburb of Phoenix) and that is when I started using Red Tops. The heat kills batteries like nothing else. I started using Optima's when Auto Zone stopped honoring thier warranty. In fact, a lot of places in AZ don't even offer battery warranties longer than 1 yr due to the heat. Now I'm sure people are going to say that so and so does or that it is blah blah illegal or something, but when I lived there, that is what I ran up against. I was getting about 14-16 months out of my batts (I also had a lot of electronics hooked up that I am sure didn't help). The Optimas died in about 30 months but they swapped out my Red Top,no questions or hassles. So, for me, getting twice the battery life and then actually having them honor the warranty made all the difference. Also, Costco sells them for under $100 most of the time.

Old 05-15-2006 | 07:14 PM
yellow top

i got the yellow top best battery ever i have a giant stereo and a major improvment from stock espically when i start up my car

Old 05-15-2006 | 07:15 PM
Optima's are over-priced, over-rated and under-perform. I tried them on my boat and returned them to AutoZone.

Check these out---now these ARE bullet-proof --http://www.trojan-battery.com/

Old 05-16-2006 | 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by device manager
Was this post directed at me?
Absolutely NOT it was directed at this thread in general. Just my .02 on Optima batteries and NOTHING more.

Old 05-18-2006 | 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by device manager
My OEM battery is only 4 years old but there is a problem with the negative battery terminal corroding. The vent wells are not overfilled, I cleaned the battery last month, and even replaced the terminals and added treated battery washers. I popped the hood yesterday and the negative terminal is already corroded again. I can only assume there there is a minute crack or problem around that terminal area so I decided to just replace the battery and be done with it.
You did the right thing. When the post continues to show corrosin, it means the seal around the post has cracked, and once that happens, it can't be repaired.

I needed a new battery a few months ago, and wanted to get an Optima. A friend of mine has a connection with Exide, though, and was able to get me an Orbital for a great price. I did some research, and the Orbital seemed to meet or exceed the Optima in every test I could find, so I figured I'd give it a shot. So far no regrets at all. Very pleased.

Old 06-22-2006 | 07:55 AM
Im a big fan of the Optima Red Top. I had the same on in my last two Subarus. It is about 3 years old and still works great. Im in Maine where it gets cold in the winter and its nice to know that the truck will always start. 900 CCA's are your best friend after your vehicle has been outside in zero degree weather for 10+ hours.

Old 06-23-2006 | 08:21 PM
My brother in law built and installed a computer in his truck. It drained the life out of his oem battery, he switched to the optima and had no problem since

Quick Reply: Optima batteries